Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

We have a MB EX-L on order, supposed to be in later this month.

Unfortunately, our dealership has been unable to identify whether or not you can get the 6-disc AND a cassette in dash. Does anyone have any familiarity with this question? Any resources I could contact?

Many thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Don't think this is possible. They fit in the same place on the dash. If you want cassette, you'll have to go with the underseat CD changer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by awalton:
our dealership has been unable to identify whether or not you can get the 6-disc AND a cassette in dash. Does anyone have any familiarity with this question? Any resources I could contact?
</font>
Actually, yes!

There are three ways to do it:

1) Aftermarket.

2) Get the 6 disc / cassette combo unit from a EX class Accord.

3) Swap the Odyssey EX radio with CD for an Odyssey LX radio with cassette ... then add the in dash 6 cd changer. I think you'll lose the steering wheel controls, however.

I did #2 ... got the radio off eBay for about $300. It is a perfect fit and looks better than the Odyssey's original unit (IMHO). Same style, same backlighting, etc. I believe it has a little higher wattage as well. You maintain compatability with the steering wheel switches, and the larger size buttons are a whole lot easier to find and use. Somewhere in a past form there was a picture posted, although I can't find it at the moment. Lanny (my_2001ody) has also done the same mod.

Personally I never understood why Honda decided to go with the Accord clock, the Accord climate controls but a Civic radio in designing the Odyssey. Look at the Accords and Civics in your dealer's showroom and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Good luck.

------------------
Keith
2001 MB EX
Mud Flaps, Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray, Thule Crossbars with Cargo Box, 6.8" LCD TV System with FM Modulator, Accord EX 6 Disc/Cassette Double DIN Head Unit, Pioneer 1655/1086 Speakers

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Wow, I learned something new today!

Better just go home now!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found the picture ... as well as further discussion on the subject.

Look under "Audio, Video, Security and Navigation" for the topic entitled "Head unit upgrade suggestions?".
http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000272.html

Another source might be a parts recycler.

Keith

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts