Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bought the Grey Touring Today (equivalent of the US Elite)

List: $50,290
Discount: $2500

Freight and PDI same as usual and they allowed us to buy any accessories at cost

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you pay Doc fees? Typically it's $499.

·
Registered
106 Posts
List is $52188.
Do you mean you paid $50290 (plus fees, taxes, accessories). $2500 is excellent discount. Plus accessories at cost - wow. Do you mind sharing your dealer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes $50,290 is before taxes and fees.

I've been talking to this dealer for over a year. I was number 1 on the list. He did me a favour - I would have been happy with less of a discount. I was very pleased. Told me he won't be repeating it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And discounted warranty too...

can you guys help me figure out which one to buy?

Just for background - we only have the 1 car and drove about 130,000K in the past 8 years but will probably do more in the next 8 years with road trips and having 2 kids - ages 3 and a newborn. We plan on keeping the car 10-12 years minimum.

So here are the stats:

7 years/130K - $2048 (regular price) - $1748 (discounted price)

7 years/160K - $2488 (regular price) - $2138 (discounted price)

8 years/200K - $3448 (regular price) - $3000 (discounted price)

I'm at a loss - please help! Which one should I buy? Why?​

·
Registered
167 Posts
You should really think about whether or not you will truly exceed the 130,000 km in 7 years by a lot if you just used it 130,000 km in 8 years.
I thought we would do the same but the distance you drive daily to/from work often dominates compared to one long road trip every 2 years.
If you can get away with 130,000 km in 7 years then buy that one. That's the one we're going for but we drive much fewer km.

Which city do you live in? The discounts you got sound great!
Did you have a trade in? Please share the details.

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you get a Honda trailer hitch installed? If I read the various documents correctly, it seems like the Touring would require an additional $350 accessory that allows the handsfree tailgate to work with a trailer hitch. I believe the sensor for your foot is relocated as it would be blocked by the hitch. I'm always concerned the technicians at the dealerships are installing it for the first time on our van, another reason I am waiting a couple months. Last time we were one of the first in the city to buy the 'new' model.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What am I missing? The Touring on the website says (BC) Msrp starting from 50, 290 and sell price of 52, 140 (I guess after freight etc). So you go the msrp price but then a discount on top of that or just of the freight etc?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So we bought the Grey Touring Today (equivalent of the US Elite)

List: $50,290
Discount: $2500

Freight and PDI same as usual and they allowed us to buy any accessories at cost

Congrats! You might be the first 2018 Odyssey owner in Canada! Sounds like you got a great deal.

Regarding the accessories, did you get the all-season floor mats, cargo mat, and cargo tray? If so, I assume you'd recommend them?

·
Registered
181 Posts
What am I missing? The Touring on the website says (BC) Msrp starting from 50, 290 and sell price of 52, 140 (I guess after freight etc). So you go the msrp price but then a discount on top of that or just of the freight etc?
Here in MB, I show Freight, PDI, and levies at $1900 (for a selling price of $52,190). What confuses me is the "cash purchase" price is $55 cheaper. In any case, OP can comment, but I believe the $1900 includes stuff like tire and A/C taxes, but likely not the doc fees.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should really think about whether or not you will truly exceed the 130,000 km in 7 years by a lot if you just used it 130,000 km in 8 years.
I thought we would do the same but the distance you drive daily to/from work often dominates compared to one long road trip every 2 years.
If you can get away with 130,000 km in 7 years then buy that one. That's the one we're going for but we drive much fewer km.

Which city do you live in? The discounts you got sound great!
Did you have a trade in? Please share the details.

Thanks!
thanks for the advice.

We we live in Toronto, we had a trade in but very old car in rough shape. Very minimal return.

Car are supposed to be arriving in the next week.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you get a Honda trailer hitch installed? If I read the various documents correctly, it seems like the Touring would require an additional $350 accessory that allows the handsfree tailgate to work with a trailer hitch. I believe the sensor for your foot is relocated as it would be blocked by the hitch. I'm always concerned the technicians at the dealerships are installing it for the first time on our van, another reason I am waiting a couple months. Last time we were one of the first in the city to buy the 'new' model.

No trailer hitch installed - I heard about that with the hitch as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. Msrp is $50,290 then discount. Then freight, PDI etc. Then HST.

With accessories, warranty and discount it will be about $58K on the road.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats! You might be the first 2018 Odyssey owner in Canada! Sounds like you got a great deal.

Regarding the accessories, did you get the all-season floor mats, cargo mat, and cargo tray? If so, I assume you'd recommend them?
so we got the protection package - rear splash guards, cargo mat/Tray and all season floor mats. I also added the cargo tray - we wanted to have both for versatility depending on who is in the car. I also tinted the front windows. I heard all the mats are good and we want the flexibility.

·
Registered
181 Posts
so we got the protection package - rear splash guards, cargo mat/Tray and all season floor mats. I also added the cargo tray - we wanted to have both for versatility depending on who is in the car. I also tinted the front windows. I heard all the mats are good and we want the flexibility.
Yeah, I think I'll do the same, plus block heater. Can't do without one where I am, but I guess it's optional for you. Certainly hope I can get a deal on them, since we all know how overpriced they are.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Signed the purchase agreement today finally.

I was able to get a couple of dealerships to knock $1000 off their initial numbers - though they stated they wouldn't negotiate, adding a few accessories, 7/130 hondacare, and mentioning I was talking to other dealers got them to re-consider. Not by much, but I'm happy to get something off MSRP.

I ran a quick carcostcanada report on the 2017 EX-L RES just out of curiosity, and the report mentioned Honda Canada Finance offers 1% off financing rates for existing financing or lease customers. We're leasing our other car, a 2015 Civic so this knocked 72 month financing down to 2.49%. A couple thousand off the total interest fees helped seal the deal.

Only problem is both dealers reported not having any shipments of EX-L RES in Grey ("Modern Steel Metallic") until mid to late July. So I don't have a VIN or production date yet and really just have their word that I can expect the car to come in mid July.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's the one we would pick but am waiting till after summer to decide. (ex-l res in the gray/gray interior). What is that carcost report? Does it show how much accessories can be negotiated? I'm guessing not but super curious....also the hondacare....did they go over the fine print? I'm curious how detailed it is and what it covers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
carcostcanada.com provides dealer invoice prices for canadian cars. 2018 is not on there yet. They have promotions where you can get 1-3 reports done free at times, I had signed up awhile back and used my last report on the 2017 odyssey.

It has some options for some models but don't expect a full list of accessories with dealer prices.

There is a detailed pamphlet of what Honda Plus (it's not called Honda Care in Canada) covers. It essentially covers all of what the 3 year bumper to bumper and 5 year powertrain warranties cover, plus extends roadside assistance for the length of the warranty with free tire puncture repairs or replacements. A few minor exclusions like light bulbs. The sweet spot for me was 7/130k for $2000, extending it to 8 years would've been $1500 more, though kms jump to 200k.

Any other canadians bought one yet? They officially go on sale today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we bought (leased) an ex.....got 1800 off msrp (invoice shows slightly more than 3k in markup on an EX) with no dealer/admin/document fees (usually around $500 or more in some cases)

1 - 20 of 186 Posts