Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone from Customer Service at Honda Canada. They are releasing the Canadian prices today, but he did tell me that the price for the 2002 Odyssey EX will be $34,900 Canadian, less than we expected.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is what I got this morning:

EX goes up $600 CDN, not $1500 CDN

EX-L is an additional $2000 CDN

So...

2002 EX is now $34,900 CDN List

2002 EX-L is $36,900 CDN List

RES and NAV are NOT offered in Canada.

I finalized my deal this morning and received just under $2000 CDN off List for a RRP EX-L. (Roughly $22,500 US for an EX-L)

The surprise - it arrives next week!!! My dealer is also allowing me to pass on the RedRock Pearl if I don't like it and I can grab a Mesa Beige EX-L within September.

·
Registered
117 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Here is what I got this morning:

EX goes up $600 CDN, not $1500 CDN

EX-L is an additional $2000 CDN

So...

2002 EX is now $34,900 CDN List

2002 EX-L is $36,900 CDN List

RES and NAV are NOT offered in Canada.

I finalized my deal this morning and received just under $2000 CDN off List for a RRP EX-L. (Roughly $22,500 US for an EX-L)

The surprise - it arrives next week!!! My dealer is also allowing me to pass on the RedRock Pearl if I don't like it and I can grab a Mesa Beige EX-L within September.

</font>

Just curious... where did you go to get $2,000 of MSRP and who did you deal with?

------------------
2002 MB EX-L RES (cancelled - RES not available in Canada)
1998 EX-V6 Accord
1988 Si-4WS Prelude...... looks like I get to keep you longer!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
PD55:
Which dealer did you get the deal? If the salesman got another customer, will he reduce his price further? Let me know because if we can get a group deal, that'll be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Garbat:
Are you still interested in going in as a group? I am. Let me know. Disregard the last e-mail I sent you. Instead of an LX, I've decided to go EX.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The destination price remained $850.

I am dealing with Ready Honda on Dundas Street in Mississauga.

Joe Glube is the sales/leasing manager there.

The deal I got was based on a leasing arrangement - but a cash purchase should be close.

They also have very good service with loaner cars available. The loaners aren't always dreams, but they run well and get you back and forth for the day!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am new to the group, but am also interseted in a Canadian group sale. I live near Sarnia, Ont but come to Toronto quite often. Let me know what your plan is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Garbat - No I don't think a better deal can be had with a group purchase. I think it would be tough to find a better deal but who knows?

Don't mistake the lack of pre-paid order line ups in Canada for a lack of demand - every Honda dealer will sell every Odyssey they can get this year.

What did you get on the deal that you cancelled?

[This message has been edited by PD55 (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone have a guess at what the Canadian dealer invoice is? In the US it is USD 3,000 which is about CAD 5,000. Someone said in another forum that invoice is only about CAD 2,800 below MSRP which seems very tight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last year's Cdn dealer cost on an EX was $31,385.

The MSRP is up 1.75%. If you increase the dealer cost by the same amount, it is approximately $31,935 giving the dealer a margin of $2,965 plus the 2% holdback of approximately $700 for a total margin of $3,665.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmmm...

In Canada it seems that the MSRP to Invoice gap is almost half the gap in the US.

Does MSRP minus CDN 2,000 seem like an obtainable price in Calgary?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have some questions on buying a car as a Canadian resident. I assume a Canadian license is required to be shown.

Does the dealership collect the PST when you buy the vehicle? I understand that unlike the US, you still need to bring the car over the the Registry Agent to register the car and pay the registration fees. Is that when you receive your license plate?

Is there any legitimate fees a dealer will collect other than the price of the car and GST? Doc fees, ADM, prep are all BS as far as I am concerned in the US.

From what I have been reading here, it seems a lot of people have called up a dealership, sealed a deal on the phone, was mailed the paperwork to fill out and only days later went to the dealership to pay and pick up the car.

Thanks. It would be great anyone could walk me through an example of how they purchased a car and a listing of the fees.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go to general discussion...look for a category called "Buying an Odyssey out of Canada". Look for a reply by Eric Nelson...he has done it and understands Canada and U.S. Customs. This topic was last activated on 2001-08-10.

·
Registered
111 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix2001:
I have some questions on buying a car as a Canadian resident. I assume a Canadian license is required to be shown.

Does the dealership collect the PST when you buy the vehicle? I understand that unlike the US, you still need to bring the car over the the Registry Agent to register the car and pay the registration fees. Is that when you receive your license plate?

Is there any legitimate fees a dealer will collect other than the price of the car and GST? Doc fees, ADM, prep are all BS as far as I am concerned in the US.

From what I have been reading here, it seems a lot of people have called up a dealership, sealed a deal on the phone, was mailed the paperwork to fill out and only days later went to the dealership to pay and pick up the car.

Thanks. It would be great anyone could walk me through an example of how they purchased a car and a listing of the fees.
</font>
I think you must show your license (not positive). Yes the dealer must collect taxes such as PST (provincial tax), GST (&% Federal tax), other taxes such as $100 A/C and tire tax (approx. $48). The last two are in Saskatchewan, not sure what other provinces are doing in these areas. Yes, our dealerships usually tries to sneak in a $75 to $100 BS fee of some type - can anyone say "last minute mark up".

Note: Alberta doesn't have a PST (lots of oil & gas keeps Albertans smiling). Also you might be able to get a refund on any PST or GST you pay depending on the Province you purchase in and the details in the NAFTA agreement (for the GST).

Once dealerships have stock you should be able to arrange something over the phone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You do not need to have a license to buy a car. I can own a car and let my wife drive it, or I can simply park it on my lawn. The dealer certainly doesn't care!

Here is what your will pay at a Canadian Dealer:
1. negotiated price + $850 Dest.
2. Provincial Sales tax (8% in Ontario)
3. GST (Federal tax 7%)(total of 15%)
4. $115 Air Conditioning Tax
5. $10 to have dealer register your plates
6. $100 - $250 for dealer B.S. fees

I beleive there are 2 Show-stoppers to US residents buying a car in Canada:

1) NAFTA or not, I think US Customs will hit you with levies duties and maybe even fines. The US government wants you buying in the USA.

2) The warranty is backed by Honda Canada - a subsidiary of Honda Corp. Honda USA is a different subsidiary - so why should they honour a Honda Canada warranty?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Here is what I have gathered:

I agree that ownership does not require a license BUT I don't think a dealer will sell to anyone who does not show a license. If I recall some past purchases, I can have the car titled any way I want but the dealer needs a copy of my license. In any case, it looks like Honda Canada is putting pressure on its dealers to not sell to American residents so a Canadian license will need to be produced. And a license is granted upon proof of residency.

I don't think that is a big hurdle since proof of residency in Canada or the US usually requires only a piece of mail with an address on it. Legally, you are resident the moment you set foot in a province. (Citizenship is a totally different matter of course.)

Alberta is probably the best place to buy an Odyssey with its 7% GST only. In Arizona an out-of-state new vehicle would also require a 7% sales tax but credits you for any taxes paid so no difference there. But if properly registered in another jurisdiction first, Arizona wouldn't charge sales tax anyway upon re-registration.

NAFTA eliminated customs and duties between the US and Canada. I think PD55 was thinking of the state taxes required to be paid upon registration of the vehicle.

I would want to pay Alberta taxes so I can register the car and validate the warranty in the US. Once registered you cannot ask for a rebate of GST paid (without alot of new paperwork) so everyone should be satisfied that this vehicle is properly Canadian for warranty purposes.

I think a Canadian insurance policy will be needed until registered in the US some time later. But that's not a big deal either.

I think I would start off asking to pay CDN 32,000 before destination and taxes. Even if final price is CDN 33,000 I would clear USD 5,700 gross. That's huge and easily covers expenses.

P.S. For fun I checked Mexican Ody prices. Mexican MSRP is USD 12K above US MSRP and USD 16K above Canadian MSRP. WOW!

[This message has been edited by phoenix2001 (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just order a 2002 SS Ex yesterday and dealer definately wanted to see proof of ID ie. drivers licence. We even talked about U.S. buyers in Canada as I live on the U.S. border. They face the possibilty fines from Honda Canada if they sell a Cdn vehicle that is destined for the USA, he even did so much as show me a list of known resellers. There have been Ford and GM dealers recently fined in the area (SW Ont).
If it's any help I got my Odyssey at 1900$ off MSRP and it was built today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, a Canadian dealer told me the fine was CDN 3,000 - ouch!

So I think they will be very circumspect when American residents call. Still, Honda Canada must be facing cases of Canadian residents who are planning to move to the US and are buying their Odyssey's just before moving to save money. I can't see how Honda Canada can prevent such a legitimate activity.

The funny thing was that after I got off the phone with the dealer I thought, "Well now I have a club to hold over their heads if they give me BS!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone else add anything to Canadian Pricing? What is the going rate for a base EX with no additional options in the Toronto area? Can anyone recommend a dealer who is offering good pricing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts