Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing the accessory belt I cant seem to get the belt back on. Am I doing something wrong? I went reversal of order I took it off and its a pain like my belt is too small or something.

When trying to put the 17mm bolt on the belt tensioner on I cant do it unless im muscle man and I have to squeeze the belt to make the driveline belt smaller to put the bolt on. I tried taking the bottom 12mm bolt tensioner off and putting the 17mm bolt on first and no luck at all....

A major pain in the arse to get this belt any suggestions would be helpful....

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I don't recall having to remove any bolts. Loosen maybe but not remove. As I recall, the space is limited so a box end wrench fits best but another one linked into the opposite end of the wrench was needed to get enough leverage. You have to have it lined up properly to get enough movement of the wrench for the pulley to be at it's shortest position. Check out this youtube video, you can see a couple ideas for the extra leverage. The one I mentioned is in there.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the response there...im just lost right now to how to able to get the belt back on. Mine is the new belt tensioner though one without a box nut on the pully wheel, but a torx 50 on it. I have to release the bolt thats 17mm that helps hold the tensioner on to relase the belt.

I don't recall having to remove any bolts. Loosen maybe but not remove. As I recall, the space is limited so a box end wrench fits best but another one linked into the opposite end of the wrench was needed to get enough leverage. You have to have it lined up properly to get enough movement of the wrench for the pulley to be at it's shortest position. Check out this youtube video, you can see a couple ideas for the extra leverage. The one I mentioned is in there. 2003 Honda Element serpentine belt change - YouTube

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn took me a long time to figure this one, but after examing a spare auto tensioer I have from honda when they replaced it. There is a nut on the tensioner itself its a 19mm bolt thats what release it and tightens it. NOw I understand the meaning of auto tensioner vs the hydralics system.

I have to get a break bar in the 19mmm bolt and to go left is to loosen it and someone has to pull the belt off and to put it on I have to pull left and then let it back slowly to tighten it..damn took me awhile to figure this out.

hope this works I got another 40mins till sunlight...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts