Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen (and women) -

Situation - Our beloved 2002 Grand Cherokee with 156,000 miles has to go. We have a 3.5 yr old and a 1.5 yr old. Recently found out twins are on the way! We can't wait! So an Ody is in our future. We will have 4 in car seats at the same time.

We are looking to get into a 2007 or 2008 Ody EX-L. Why 07 or 08? Dark Cherry Pearl. We love the color and it fits our budget better (we like to pay cash for everything). I am torn though...if I come across a Touring, is it really worth it? I really think the 8th seat in the EX-L is more beneficial than a power lift gate. Grandparents will likely be riding with us quite often and we will need the 8th seat. We really don't care about RES or NAV. Kids are well behaved w/o RES now and I can read a map quite well. Another Touring ding...PAX. Don't want to deal with it.

As you can see we are leaning towards an EX-L. Just wanted to get y'alls opinion, please, as y'all already drive Odys everyday. Come to think of it, I have never driven one. Probably should but actually the Ody is the only minivan out there I would buy. Have had honda's before and loved them.

one more thing...mileage. What would be cutoff mileage for an 07/08 Ody? Keep it under 60,000 miles - 75,000 miles? It is a Honda IMO and I am not too concerned about a high mileage used Ody.

Thanks in advance everyone. Looking forward to welcoming the Ody into our family!

ciao!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Seems there was a recent thread very similar to this...might want to search and check that out.

I have the Touring and really like the power gate and the suspension. The better TPMS setup and memory seats are also nice.

That said, your plan sounds good to me. I prefer fewer miles but either way, maintenance records would be nice. 20K of hard miles is probably worse than 60K of easy miles. For an '07, I would look for 45K or fewer miles.

I'd probably go for the lowest mileage 08 you can afford.

·
Registered
286 Posts
2008 EXL didn't have power tail gate as standard equipment.
The 2009 EXL had it.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
The 09 EXL was available in dark cherry pearl, and included a power tailgate. I have to think there isn't that much price differential between comparable models of 07, 08 & 09s.

But then again, based on your signature and my screen name, maybe I am just trying to lead you astray..... GO LIONS!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
My two cents is to be more flexible about the model, year, and color and concentrate more on finding one in superb shape, especially given your family situation.

Given the high resale prices, I shoot for something that's been driven less than 12K per year. Paying a bit more for lower mileage is money very well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on everyone. Thanks for the input. I still have some homework (and saving) to do. I agree with what y'all said...except the GO LIONS!

This will be our baby (and bike!) hauler for a while so I will probably hold out for a low mileage dark cherry pearl. Wifey really likes the color and I want to make her happy. It will primarily be hers to go to the gym, take kiddos on play dates and to church etc so I want it to be a vehicle she will dig. An 09 will most likely be out of range for us though, the power gate would be nice. So hopefully an 07/08 low mileage, dark cherry pearl Ody will be in our near future. I will keep y'all posted. Can't wait to rack it. My current Yakima set-up that is on our Jeep should transfer right on to the Ody. Hopefully pics aren't far off...Thanks again!

ciao!

·
Registered
267 Posts
EX-L - no question. I actually prefer the EX sans L.

The EX is the model that takes the LX and adds all the most popular options and adds them. This is then offered at the best price possible.

I have had a 2nd and now third gen Ody EX with cloth and love them.

Touring? No thanks. Read the threads about the limited tire choices and getting rid of the run flats. Adjustable suspensions are just another big buck item to wear out.

These things are made to be driven a long time. The simpler, the better IMO.

My '05 has 126k on it and I plan on keeping my wife in it until 200k (with a sound mind).

I steer away from the leather as I do keep my cars until they are loaded with miles. When that leather goes bad, it looks horrible.

My second gen had 142k on it when I sold it and the cloth seats were all fine. And, they don't stick to your arse in the hot summer.

I have saved TONS of money buying slightly higher mileage units. Low mileage premiums are good for American that crap out at 100k, not Hondas that last forever with minimal upkeep. I bought my '05 EX with 75k on it for 11.5k two years ago. I did the math and saved myself thousands. Of course I am a shade-tree mechanic and just did my timing belt for $200 in parts.

My solicited 2 cents. GL.

·
Registered
267 Posts
OH MY!! Sorry!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Godspeed!

·
Registered
469 Posts
So 4 child seats and 4 adults in the ODY?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tC_demon said:
So 4 child seats and 4 adults in the ODY?
well, most of the time it will just our 4 kids and my wife and I. On occasions we will also carry around the grandparents but that won't be very often. That's why we will need the jump seat in the second row hence leaning towards an EX-L.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
liv2bike said:
well, most of the time it will just our 4 kids and my wife and I. On occasions we will also carry around the grandparents but that won't be very often. That's why we will need the jump seat in the second row hence leaning towards an EX-L.
I know this is off topic, but congrats to the Gators on the bowl victory!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like your logic in wanting to go with a clean, late-model unit. We have an 09 EX-L (bought new when discounts were heavy) and love it. Very comfortable and decent gas mileage for this size vehicle. I would think you could find what you're looking for with an internet search of the dealers within a certain radius of your area. With the age of your children I would definitely go with leather as it will be easier to clean up their inevitable spills! Keep us updated on your quest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So we drove an 08 EX-L yesterday, dark cherry. It was CPO with 29K miles. They wanted $26K for it though and weren't willing to move off their asking price. When you add tax etc we are talking almost $27K...for a used vehicle. I told them they can keep it. We are going to keep looking. I have seen several lately on autotrader, cars.com and even EBAY in the $17-$18K range for 2008's. I am willing to travel so if its 500 miles away, that doesn't bother me. Search continues...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Most people would find that new car buying is easier than used car buying.
You can buy a new car sight unseen (I did that on my Accord) but not a used car.

Too many things can and will go wrong with used car buying unless you give it proper due diligence.

If you are looking for dark cherry, low mileage, Honda certified, 2008 EX-L Odyssey, you may find supply to be limited in your area and thus higher asking price.
If you are flexible on color, you'll see more supplies.

In my area, low mileage used Odysseys EXL or better are in high demand.
$26K is the asking price for a 2008 EXL with less than 30K miles and Honda certificed.
Add $1K for RES and $1K for NAV, roughly speaking.

More 2009 vans are coming off lease and that will slowly push down the 2008 prices.

If you are not in a hurry, you can continue scanning the online inventories until a good deal shows up.

Have fun buying.

·
Registered
57 Posts
we scored

on our '06 (bought as new) touring R+N by negotiating a price online before ever physically showing up at a dealer...also, the negotiating online gave us some leverage, as we were able to take advantage of dealers under-bidding other dealers...had the color combo (siver/black)...you might be able to get pretty far with that, considering it seems like you've got your color combo & options figured out...

i thought that the 8th seat was available in touring models as of 2008...that would provide you with a few more bells & whistles, but primarily, it would get you that power tailgate...and i though run-flats (PAX) were optional in 2008 US models...i believe it was only '05-'07 touring models that provided no tire option (i.e. PAX ONLY)

the power tailgate was definitely a selling point for my wife.

also, although you're not looking for the RES or NAV, the screen is awesome to have for the backup camera...especially when attempting to get the van into our garage...i thought it (camera) and the parking sensors were extremely gimmick-y at first, but have come to really appreciate the functionality of the camera...the parking sensors...i could live without them...

NAV-unless you have a portable, aftermarket NAV, we find the NAV to be extremely convenient, especially when traveling with the kids and attempting to find a specific restaurant in an unfamiliar area...after entering a name, the NAV will list them in distance order...simplifying a food/bathroom stop

also, with young kids...we preferred the leather, as it's easier to clean, as most likely there will be various forms of spillage with 4 in car seats!...along with that, we picked up the weathertech floorliners...most likely, it would just be the adults dealing with hot leather seats...as the kids'll be - for a few years anyway - in their own car seats

just my few cents worth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts