Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav, 48K
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a used 2018 Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav, about 48k miles. Just this past weekend it stopped letting us put the vehicle in park after driving. When we push the "P" button to put the van in park before stopping the engine, it remains in Drive and an error shows up on the dashboard, "Transmission Problem. Apply Parking Brake When Parked". So we engage the parking brake (which we had been doing anyway) and turn off the engine, and the van stays parked (even on a slope). After a day of looking at it, the local Honda tech wasn't able to reproduce the error after driving it around the lot but the service manager did see the error when I first brought it in.

Has anybody seen this error before?
Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Car Plant

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Recently purchased a used 2018 Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav, about 48k miles. Just this past weekend it stopped letting us put the vehicle in park after driving. When we push the "P" button to put the van in park before stopping the engine, it remains in Drive and an error shows up on the dashboard, "Transmission Problem. Apply Parking Brake When Parked". So we engage the parking brake (which we had been doing anyway) and turn off the engine, and the van stays parked (even on a slope). After a day of looking at it, the local Honda tech wasn't able to reproduce the error after driving it around the lot but the service manager did see the error when I first brought it in.
When you started the ODY on the following day, did it show it was in Park? How about after you took it to the Honda service department? If this happens again, try shutting off the ODY without attempting to put it in Park, this is another way for it automatically attempt to put it Park as well as when you have it in drive by opening the drivers door while engine is still running will also shift it into Park.

Last question, before you attempted to put it in Park, did you have your ODY washed within a hour of time, or drove in the rain?

BTW welcome to the ODY Forum! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW welcome to the ODY Forum! :)
Thanks, DJVAN! This forum has been immensely helpful in the past.

I haven't tried shutting off the engine to see if that puts it in Park, but I believe that it shows being in Park after turning the car back on. We haven't washed the car recently and it has been consistent in not obeying the P button ever since last friday, wherever we try to park. It hasn't rained much if at all this past weekend. When I get the van back from the dealer tomorrow I'll try shutting the engine off directly without the parking brake, and also turn it back on without the parking brake engaged to make sure it really is in Park and not neutral.

·
Registered
645 Posts
How recently was the van purchased?
Is there a grace period that allows returns or swaps?

Unfortunately, it looks like you found the reason why the vehicle was traded in. Hopefully, all of this is covered under the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been a few months, we're well outside the grace period. The dealer still cannot reproduce the error, even though it was happening consistently for us. They did report that they saw this error code:

"P07E4 - unable to engage park"

Going to pick it up and then probably bring it right back when it happens again. And yes hopefully covered under powertrain warranty. It's a bit mind boggling that something like putting the vehicle in park can be this finicky. At least it's not exhibiting the issue of suddenly shifting into park while driving ...yet

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's been a few months, we're well outside the grace period. The dealer still cannot reproduce the error, even though it was happening consistently for us. They did report that they saw this error code:

"P07E4 - unable to engage park"

Going to pick it up and then probably bring it right back when it happens again. And yes hopefully covered under powertrain warranty. It's a bit mind boggling that something like putting the vehicle in park can be this finicky. At least it's not exhibiting the issue of suddenly shifting into park while driving ...yet

I had a different problem with my transmission but it is now being replaced under the powertrain warranty (hopefully yours too).

Not sure if you have tried yet but you may want to take the negative cable off (to see if it resets anything)

Overall, I am very disappointed with the quality of my van. It is nothing but problems since we bought it new

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They couldn't reproduce the issue once they cleared that error code, so it's home now after a hefty diagnostic fee to the dealer. It's been working since then, except for 1 time it briefly flashed the warning when parking but then shifted to Park anyways. Briefly flashed a warning about the side lane sensors at the same time. Will report back if it happens again.

Yeah I'm not getting a lot of warm fuzzies from the electronic transmission in the '18. It's pretty slow to get into gear, especially from a stop. Makes it a bit hairy pulling out into traffic sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts