Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this months C&D Ody

in 60 seconds, estimated at 8.1 seconds.

Not bad at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

This kicks almost every SUV out there except maybe Bimmers and MB's toy SUV's

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Was that the 2002 Ody or the 2001 they tested?

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L on order
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely the 2002,

in this months car and driver

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's only estimated though, I think it would be a little slower than that. Nevertheless, a 8s 0-60 time is very impressive for a minivan, what was the 1/4 time and trap speed?

A Grand Cherokee is much faster than that if you are talking about SUVs too.

[This message has been edited by DDakRT (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
C&D also mentioned that the new suspension mods were accomplished, "without MUCH loss from the previous Odyssey's nimble-for a minivan-handling." Apparently, they felt the van was not quite as responsive. I hope the trade-off is for improved NVH characteristics.

I like the handling responses of my '01, except for the wind wander it seems to have, and would hate to trade much of that away.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
I sure don't like the idea of *reducing* the size of the front sway bar. Haven't found a street car yet that didn't benefit from a BIGGER bar. Oh well, gotta keep everybody happy.

- d

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If all you do is put a bigger front bar in, then you may "snap oversteer" (spin out) off a cliff. You have to consider front-to-rear balance, and the lateral load transfer of both the front and rear suspension. The ideal street suspension tends to plow the front end, or understeer, at the limit -- much safer than loosing the rear end. I bet Honda has tuned the suspension.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you may "snap oversteer" </font>
Yikes. Yes, you may cause an oversteer situation with a larger front bar, but more likely, with a well-engineered system of sway bars, shocks, tires, etc, one can achieve a pleasantly ballanced driving situation.

The ideal idiot-proof street suspension will understeer, I agree. I don't intend to be snotty here (I do respect your comments), but I'm pretty passionate about my driving, and typically hate how street cars are set-up from the factory.

I won't go into detail, but I always strive for just a touch of oversteer. At least I did with my RWD vehicles.

Anyway, I guess my point is that you don't need to worry about me slapping on a 2" diameter front bar, and flying off a cliff. Thanks for your concern though

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think you would have to go pretty far with the anti-roll bars to cause an oversteer problem in a front driver. I installed a pretty thick rear anti-roll bar on my Caravan and it just did away with the front end "push" (understeer), allowing the van to become quite "tossable" in the twisties.

The smaller diameter anti-roll bar on the 2002 should reduce the understeer somewhat, depending upon how the rest of the suspension is set up. As for my 2001, it has much less push than the '94 Caravan had stock. I would, however, like to have a rear anti-roll bar for it, but do not think one will ever be offered. Go ahead, prove me wrong, so I can buy one, Hee! Hee!

Air Lifts can achieve somewhat the same effect as the rear bar, at the cost of a somewhat bumpy rear suspension.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

1 - 9 of 9 Posts