Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Ody 2k was my only car ever. I never had an accident. I got hit from the letft into engine at 27 mph by Dodge Intrepid, who was making illigal left turn. My speed was under 30 mph (going straigh on intersection). Airbags deployed in both cars.
Now, other party is at fault and uninsured. I have NY liability insurance and property damage is not covered.
I'm thinking about keeping the car - at least for spare parts.
I need to move it and engine doesnt start. Starter tries but no continuity. There is something I dont know on this subj. When the accident happened, the engine was running, - I turned it off after about 15 minutes I woke up, when some fumes were in the car which I misidentified as exhaust - it was probably ventilation plus airbag dust. The car was towed without my permission (I was in ambulance an not allowed to step out by medical personell).
So, I tried to start the engine today , 9/13, and it's about 10 days since the accident(9/2). Since starter tries, means battery is good. One thing I noticed - lower splashguard is disconnected. It was not like that at the time of the accident. Could it be that the mechanics scrued something to make the car not starting? What can it be? Please, help.

I hope my info will help somebody.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
After that accident, it could be a lot of things. Start with the fuel pump. Listen for its whirring in the back when you turn on the key. (Note, it will run for only two seconds before it stops again.)

Bummer to be hit by an uninsured motorist. Hope you are okay!

·
Registered
91 Posts
so there are 3 basic reasons an engine won't run...

no fuel
no spark
no air

One thing that comes to mind (and i'm not sure if the Odyssey has this feature or not) but I had a 91 mecury tracer that had an automatic cut off for the fuel pump when you got in an accident....or hit a VERY big pot hole as I found out.

Anyway - it allowed you to push a reset button to re-start the fuel pump.

My suggestion - if you are able is to start here.

I would make sure that my engine is getting fuel and that I am getting adequate spark. If you are getting these two - I would suspect some type of saftey switch that has been tripped due to the collison. (ie main fuel relay & fuel supply cutoff relay)

I am glad you are ok - and let us know how we can help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also found this:
Car Won't Start After Wreck
when searching Google.

Some other Honda owners talk about an Inertia Switch with in the steering wheel.

It's suppsosed to be a small magnetic ball that completes a circut in order for the car to run...

I'm not familiar with it, but a similar concept as the fuel pump saftey feature that I mentioned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll check the car 9/15 morning again.
Sequence so far:
1) fuses;
2) ground wire;
3) listen to fuel pump.

I'm not sure I got it about "inertia switch". I'll read on.
But, as I mentioned in orig post, engine was running for 15 minutes after the accident.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. Battery is dead.
2. Inertia switch in the steering wheel is among the parts which needs to be replaced according to car shop[if I decide to repair], so it looks like it prevents car from starting (could be one of many things - like deployed airbags, but not sure).

I'd like to get your advise on what should I do with the car. Initially, I wanted to keep it for pats, but after getting educated on details, I'm changing.

It's pretty old car to get someone's interest (to sell).
According to car shops, average junk yard will pay 150-300. Donating, - I could get $500 off income for my taxes.
Does it make sense to sell it for parts to someone else? What are my options here - Craigslist, etc -? Retail price for transmission only is about 1.5 - 2 k.
Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wyck -
Wow, i'm sorry to hear it's totaled out.

I'm not sure - it's a toss up in my view.
You probably could get more money by disassembling it and parting it out. Certainly you could get more than the junk yard would pay.

if you were able to find the right buyer for the transmission - i've seen transmissions for odyssey's going on Craigslist for $100 - Needing a rebuild.
I'd pay $300+ for one that came out of a wrecked vehicle with decent miles vs getting one rebuilt.

The problem would be finding the right buyers - and like you said being an older model that may be tougher and you may be stuck with a heap of metal in your driveway/garage for a while. Plus, you'll be covered in grease for the next month while you disasseble it.

If it were me, i'd take the charity option - and get a warm fuzzy feeling for possibly being able to help those less fortunate.

Best of luck - and let us know how it turns out!

ps. have you considered getting another van same year,make & model and just keeping this one as a donor vehicle?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1) regarding getting same model - I considered 2004 (similar body;mine is 2000).Not sure if it's even close 80% in parts;
2) mechanic told me if I decide to repair, I can not do airbags myself, becuse certificate is needed to pass inspection or something like that. Can you comment on this (is it possible to repair airbags myself with new parts?)

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Wyck,
After digging around some on Google I see conflicting data around the requirement of airbags to pass inspection.

I for sure that in Texas - they will not fail due to no airbags and therefore there are no restrictions on fixing them yourself.
...but, welcome to Texas - where I don't need airbags, but I HAVE been failed for inspection because of: "excessively loud horn".

Go figure.

New York....it wouldn't surprise me that they do require airbags and there is an airbag deployed code that would need to be reset after an accident - this is probably the certificate he speaks of.

Personally, if it were my van and I planned to keep it....i'd let a professional do that job. With multiple sensors, specialty tools needed, and the risk of having a 200+mph airbag to my face....it's just one of those jobs that you may want to pay the money for.

Plus, you wouldn't have to flinch everytime you hit a pot hole or turn the steering wheel full tilt.

AF

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just a few things you didn't mention which come to mind:

do you have area to store the van while you attempt to fix it?

Do you have a lot of tools and enjoy fixing complex repair jobs?

Do you have a lot of spare time?

Have you gotten a body shop to evaluate the body integrity for bent frame?

Cost of major parts needed?

Paint?

will title be affected by salvage, does not sound like it.

and you touched on:

After all this effort, will the vehicle be one that you cherish and keep for a while, lovingly wash and polish?

If you are not committed, I'd get a different vehicle and part this out on ebay or craig's list, or donate if you do not want to fool with all the dismantling and selling stuff.

I have rebuilt (or nearly completed) fixing a Sky that was totalled by insurance and I can tell you what looked simple ended up needing a frame section welded in and significant costs for parts and labor. The airbag systems are so expensive that is a hidden cost, bags are 250 or so, then you have impact sensors, the controller, new clockspring, etc. My car withi my free labor is now only about 5k less than what I could have bought one for that was uncrashed. So beware. But it will be mine and I'm cool with that, and it will be turbo with non-turbo vin for less insurance cost, etc.

my 5 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts