Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would have thought !

Wife has run out of gas TWICE now, only owned the car 4 months.
My question to her is, how can you not notice ?
Seems the same design as the previous 2006 Odyssey we owned, in that you see the full console, with fuel gauge and bright orange fuel light, how can you not notice.

But, then i think, we have this big screen in front of us. why does it not start flashing warnings that you are low on gas. Sure i can set it to default to trip computer and show mileage and such, but unless it flashes bright orange and makes a loud honking noise, i guess she isnt going to notice.

My question is, is there something i can do via the computer screen/console to make this more noticeable for her ?
I am currently checking how much fuel she has each night, and filling up when she needs.

No she isnt an air head, she is quite smart, but often fails to pick up on these obvious things around her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who would have thought !

Seems the same design as the previous 2006 Odyssey we owned, in that you see the full console, with fuel gauge and bright orange fuel light, how can you not notice.

But, then i think, we have this big screen in front of us. why does it not start flashing warnings that you are low on gas. Sure i can set it to default to trip computer and show mileage and such, but unless it flashes bright orange and makes a loud honking noise, i guess she isnt going to notice.

My question is, is there something i can do via the computer screen/console to make this more noticeable for her ?
I am currently checking how much fuel she has each night, and filling up when she needs.

No she isnt an air head, she is quite smart, but often fails to pick up on these obvious things around her.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I just had to tell you that you made my day!
+1. I guess she'll have to get out of gas in a very bad area in the middle of the night so she learns her lesson ;)

My only input is that if she drives the same miles every day you know more or less when is fill-up time (i.e. Monday evenings), that's about it. Other than that, you'll need to drive with her at all times.

And I was about to say that you might be in luck as Honda already has a similar system that blinks and beeps loudly/annoyingly when the battery charge is low, but it gives a lot of false alarms so I wouldn't trust any variation of it :)D, sorry couldn't help it)

·
Registered
854 Posts
No need for anything fancy - just take an ordinary sheet of copier paper and write on it "Check gas gauge every time you drive," then tape paper to dash. Use bold printing if you think it will help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe she will remember after she burns up the fuel pump from running it dry and spending $$$ for a new one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why should she be concerned ?

"Up north" where you can get caught overnight in a snowstorm (Chicago Lake Shore Drive, for example), our rule is "no lower than half a tank", and if weather isn't so hot, no less than three quarter full.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Place a neon color post-it note next to the fuel gauge!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have kids they can remember to watch the gas level and remind her when she needs it, but they can't help her to fill up the tank. it appears she doesn't know how or too lazy to do it. your other option is to get a new wife or an all electric vehicle to plug in every night for recharge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who would have thought !

You're filling up the car with gas? Ha. I think your wife is smarter than you think!

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you have kids they can remember to watch the gas level and remind her when she needs it, but they can't help her to fill up the tank. it appears she doesn't know how or too lazy to do it. your other option is to get a new wife or an all electric vehicle to plug in every night for recharge.
Nothing is more expensive than a new wife (unless you have a pre-nup). Fill it up for her:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Who would have thought !

Well Triple-A does actually bring fuel to you if you run out of gas, might be a good investment for you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
hahaha. True.

Reminds me of when my wife was running late for work, me still in bed, - "Honey, can you start my car for me."

Ummm, excuse me? Start your car for you? I don't think so! Still, every now and then she'll still ask me to start her car and I still wouldn't. So one morning, I told her, Honey, can you start my car, check the oil and make sure the tire pressure is ok. Ha!

Don't feed a bad habit I say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aside from all the smart-a$$ replies (of which i was very tempted myself to make one).

Not having a 2011 Ody, i don't know if it has a low fuel light like my accord, but i would build a circuit that activates a buzzer every time the low fuel light comes on. I'm sure that there is an analog output voltage from the fuel sender that i could tap into if there was no fuel light. I would simply install an analog to digital converter to fire a buzzer at a set point.

It would drive her crazy and make sure the tank was always full.

R.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Who would have thought !

Smart doesn't compensate for common sense.. or lack of it in this case. I know plenty of supposed book smart people, but have no clue and no common sense.. LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts