Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting to look at winter tires, the first for our van.

Since we might downsize a bit 215/70R16 instead of the OEM 235/65R16) I have noticed that some tires are available as car tires, others as light truck tires.

I can guess the truck tires would have higher load ratings and ride a little harder, is that correct? Would there be other downsides to either kind of tire? Does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I guess nobody knows... :)

Asking another way: Are people getting car tires or light truck tires?

Nicolas

·
Registered
389 Posts
As for winter tires I have to make sure that the snowflake symbol is on the sidewall. For insurance purposes, I get a 5% discount if I have snows on in the winter. I understand that some truck tires do have that symbol as well.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have seen car and truck tires with the symbol, so is why I am wondering if there are real-life differences between them...

We have a legal obligation to have winters with the symbol here (Quebec, from mid-December to mid-March), and I wouldn't drive in winter without them. :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have BFG all terrains on my 2001, they had about 55K on them before I replace them. Thye could have gone another 5 ot 10k, but I had some alignment issues.

I replaced them with yokohama geolander AT\S

the main difference was that the LT tires lasts about twice as long as passenger tires. The tires were a little louder than passenger tires. but I didn't have to replace them every 20-25K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look at the load ratings

The most important thing is to make sure that whatever tire you buy has a load rating at least as high as the OEM tire (103 or higher). Tires with lower load ratings have weaker sidewalls and will have greater difficulty withstanding the weight of your Ody. Even if a lower rating seems sufficient based on the maximum load allowed per tire, the weaker sidewall composition will result in premature wear, particularly in the shoulder and sidewall area on your tire. Good luck!

·
Registered
606 Posts
as I'm sure you're aware for snow narrow is better, my tires are stock width but seems wide for snow. I used to live where it snowed.:D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comment.

As we often load the van up (3 kids an a big dog) I'll be getting tires with the correct load index, 103, and yes, I am looking at 225/70R16 tires, so 10 mm narrower with a very similar circumference.

My pick right is BF Goodrich KSIs. They seem very agressive, with big siped block. Just worried a bit about noise, but we need good snow traction.

Nicolas

·
Registered
369 Posts
It is my understanding light truck tires have different tread offerings and load ratings. Unless your hauling and towing, stick to passenger tires for comfort reasons.

Also, IMO, stick with OEM sizes. What the point in changing? 10mm narrower than OEM will not provide any better snow traction and you'd risk losing stability and traction. Is it worth losing even a little of either one? No way!

Decent shops wont even mount non-oem sizes and speed ratings.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RinconVTR said:
It is my understanding light truck tires have different tread offerings and load ratings. Unless your hauling and towing, stick to passenger tires for comfort reasons.

Also, IMO, stick with OEM sizes. What the point in changing? 10mm narrower than OEM will not provide any better snow traction and you'd risk losing stability and traction. Is it worth losing even a little of either one? No way!

Decent shops wont even mount non-oem sizes and speed ratings.
One main reason: More choices in tires! :) Not a problem with the KSIs, but can help with other models. Another one, which may be an old wife's tale, is that narrower tires are better in the snow. Not sure about that one, but somehow makes a bit of sense.

And as to some shop not installing them, you have to stay within reasonable limits. Honda wants +/- 3%, and the 225/70R16 is 1.3% off, so It'll be fine.

Nicolas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts