Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice..

I bought this 98 LX that still has the single DIN AMFM Cassette player.

Ideally, I would like to find a OEM CD player to replace it. Also, I'd like to find an adapter that would allow me to have a 3.5mm input jack. Has anyone ever heard of or done this? I really don't even care to have the CD player all that much, but if I'm going to chose between having the MP3 jack with a tape player or MP3 jack with a CD player, I'd rather have the CD option.

I did this in the past with an aftermarket Alpine head unit. I actually still have it, and could make it work I'm sure. But, I'd rather keep it factory to deter theft. I work in an area that isn't exactly crime-free.

I've seen the single DIN CD players on ebay for pretty reasonable, but the question is whether there is a jack adapter sistuation. I saw a setup for the 07 CRV configuration that might work with the right hardware.Ebay item

Any thoughts appreciated.....

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Just get an RF adapter that will play your mp3 through the FM radio. My GPS has an mp player and RF transmitter and it works great playing through the radio.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Auxbox is a product I've used. They don't work correctly, so avoid it and it's about the same cost as an aftermarket radio with front input jack anyhow. FM modulators can work, but usually create noise or whining with only FM quality sound output. I say aftermarket radio. Get the Metra dash kit, the Scosche kit is flimsy in comparison.

My .02c

Last note, aftermarket radios typically have much greater sound output than the stock radio as an added benefit. I like Sony and Pioneer products best on the low end. Walmart sells them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd also vote for aftermarket - more bang for your buck. Here are a few decks from $150-$220 that all support: mp3, front aux input, free install kit, ipod connection, built-in bluetooth and front usb.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car-Receivers.html?c=3&tp=5684&avf=N&nvpair=AG_Disc_Playback|YCMP3_Playback&nvpair=AG_Auxiliary_Input|FFFront&nvpair=FFFree_Installation_Kit|[rank1]Yes&nvpair=FFiPod_Connection|[rank2]Built-in+audio+only&nvpair=FFBluetooth_Compatible|Built-in&nvpair=FFUSB_Input|Front

Stay away from FM transmitters. While some adapters are useable, if you start with the cheapest options, you may find yourself incurring incremental costs and it would have been better just to bite the bullet up-front and you'd have better quality & capability for a one-time effort.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get the Metra dash kit, the Scosche kit is flimsy in comparison.
I would also recommend the Metra 99-7892 kit. It's fairly solid and includes the handy storage bin.

Here are a few decks from $150-$220 that all support: mp3, front aux input, free install kit, ipod connection, built-in bluetooth and front usb.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Ca...B_Input%7cFront
Crutchfield has good service and install accessories with your order, but for our vans, the dash kit is cheesy 1970's plastic with a cutout for an equalizer below the DIN so that you lose your storage bin. You will end up ordering the Metra kit anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts