Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 04 odyssey would not start last night, even after a jump and even though all power worked. The tow truck came out and the tow truck operator jiggled the key around and got it to start. We turned it off and it went on immediately a few times with no problem.

This afternoon I went to start it again and it would not start immediately, even though the power was on and headlights, lights, etc. worked. After playing with the key a bit in the ignition it hesitated and then turned over. I then turned the car off and tried it again a few times and each time it started immediately.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I would hate to change out the starter due the solenoid if that is not the problem. Or the ignition switch if not the problem. The van has 114k miles.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Ignition switch or the key itself is going. Try another key first but I would bet on the switch. I had to replace mine, it was easy enough to do. Search ignition switch and you'll see a ton of hits. Pretty common. I think there's a thread with pictures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Similar thing happened to my 04 last week. Ended up replacing the starter. I just completed installing it today ... started the job last Thursday. What should have been a simple job ended up to be quite an ordeal due to a stuck starter bolt (link supplied).

Did you hear relays clicking when you attempted to start the van and it failed?

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/151366-starter-bolt-stuck.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iyoung, I tried this morning, starts right up, then the second time does not. I did hear a 3 or 4 clicks until it caught the second time. It is not the same clicking sound you get when a battery is almost dead. But it does click, and after trying it again right after that gets it to "catch" in some way. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Iyung has a good point and seeing you hear a clicking then that does point to the starter assuming it's coming from the area it is in. Do you have what it takes to measure voltage at the starter when it's not working? That's the only way to prove it's bad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Iyoung, I tried this morning, starts right up, then the second time does not. I did hear a 3 or 4 clicks until it caught the second time. It is not the same clicking sound you get when a battery is almost dead. But it does click, and after trying it again right after that gets it to "catch" in some way. Does that make sense?
Yes, this does make sense. I wasn't getting any response from the starter, however the lights and doors were working. Jumping the battery did not help. I was finally able to start up the car as my wife was talking to the towing truck dispatcher. At first there was a weak crank and then the engine cranked and started on the second attempt. When I got it home I just parked until I replaced the starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts