Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install my cargo cover but I'm a bit concerned about getting the holes I have to drill in the right place.

If you follow the directions, the front set of holes is easy to locate because the measurement is made from a sharp distinct corner of the quarter pillar trim molding and the distance away from the corner is along a straight piece of molding.

The back measurement has me concerned. The instructions ask you to measure forward the rear corner on the quarter pillar trim molding, but there's a curve in the molding at that point. Do I include the circumference of the curve in my measurement.

I sure don't want to end up with the holes in the wrong places!

If anyone has done this and can give some advice, please do so.

Here's the instruction sheet I'm referring to, http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/odycargocov.pdf

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi, kenr: you might want to do a search for "cargo cover" before you drill any holes. No one that I know of has been happy with that cover and many dealers have refunded the money for them even after installation because they're such a crappy design.

From what I understand, they're hard to position and then they won't stay in place. Then removing and reinstalling them puts scratches in the vinyl around them.

Just be forewarned before you start drilling holes.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read the other articles, but my wife still likes the cover. She doesn't plan to put anything on top of it. She simply wants to prevent anyone from seeing into the trunk. The tinted windows are not enough for her to hide what's in there.

So the request still stands, is there anyone with experience installing this?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have another alternative: My wife made a cover out of tan denim. It's approximately the width of the inside of the cargo area, fitted in the area of the third seat armrests. It's suspended at the back of the cargo area by a line between the hooks for the cargo net and a dowel in a sewn pocket that provides stiffening. I stiffen it further forward with some plastic rods and "hook" it to the second row seat handles. Obviously, it's hard to describe!

Nevertheless, it works pretty well. The tan color works with my MB Ody.

Another idea: My Blazer has a black interior, and a window-shade type cover that doesn't work well in the winter. I simply carry a piece of black denim and toss it over whatever I'm carrying. Combined with the tinted windows it effectively conceals whatever I'm carrying.

Mel

·
Registered
197 Posts
kenr,

I concur, the cargo cover is just plain junk.

Mel, that sounds good. My wife is a creative sower, I don't know if she can do canvas though. Can you post a few pictures of the looks and of the mechanicals?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by BobN (edited 02-04-2002).]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
Mel ... Can you post a few pictures of the looks and of the mechanicals?</font>
Sorry Bob, I can't post pictures of this mod.

I have a "software" problem that prevents me posting pictures of my cover. Although I like it, my wife doesn't. I fear bodily harm if I post pictures

Mel

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
Originally posted by BobN:
Mel ... Can you post a few pictures of the looks and of the mechanicals?</font>
Sorry Bob, I can't post pictures of this mod.

I have a "software" problem that prevents me posting pictures of my cover. Although I like it, my wife doesn't. I fear bodily harm if I post pictures

Mel
HAHA!!! Ya' we don't want any domestic abuse issues resulting from these forums.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally installed the Honda Cargo Cover and my wife and I are very pleased. The way I addressed my concerns in the original post about where to locate the rear holes was to drill the holes closest to the seat first, then installed the front rod of the cargo cover and verified the hole placement for the rear rod.

Installation was very quick. The only problem is that I didn't own a drill bit big enough for the holes and the purchase price of the 16mm bit was quite steep (near $20 at Home Depost). To get around this I simply drilled the hole with the biggest bit I had, then used a Dremel tool to make the hole larger.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Did you take pics of the installation?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts