Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the Head Unit on our 2007 Odyssey EX stopped accepting CDs. Fortunately, it will eject CDs, but won't load new ones. It's fine, since our iPhones have all our music anyway. I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience installing an aftermarket CarPlay receiver? Is it as simple as it was when I was younger? Head to Best Buy, buy the unit and adapter cables, grab a mounting kit from AutoZone and hook it all up? (It's been about 15 years since I've done this with my old Toyotas.)

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you have non navigation unit, thats pretty much as easy as you described. There is Metra harness and trim to make the aftermarket radio fit. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your input. I've read some articles and posts that say the keyless entry might be run through the head unit. Do you know if that's the case on the 2007 Odyssey EX? We definitely use/need the keyless entry. Also, how do the steering wheel controls work. Do those transfer over through the new wiring harness? Thanks for all your help with my insane questions!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, keyless controls have nothing to do with head unit.
As far as steering wheel controls, unless you plan on getting an accessory, you will lose them.
If you go to Crutchfield.com, you can find units that will work with your van and they recommend various accessories, such as XM radio, steering wheel controls, etc... You dont have to buy from them if you dont want, but they have a very nice website that lays it out pretty well. Selection will also be much better than Bestbuy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a great tip! I’ll definitely check there. Steering wheel controls are something I wouldn’t want to lose. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have installed 4200NEX -- great unit with two zone option. Have not attached to wheel controls yet.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Thanks so much for your input. I've read some articles and posts that say the keyless entry might be run through the head unit. Do you know if that's the case on the 2007 Odyssey EX? We definitely use/need the keyless entry. Also, how do the steering wheel controls work. Do those transfer over through the new wiring harness? Thanks for all your help with my insane questions!
That's not written anywhere....

You need to connect a module for the steering wheel controls, the module is an additional $50.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my head unit. I couldn’t take out the CDs. But there was a lot of music. So I wasn’t doing anything until it stopped working at all. And all the CDs were inside. At that moment I understood that it is time to change the head unit to the new double din head. I decided to buy the one which has Bluetooth and CarPlay to listen to my music from the telephone and to speak comfortably on the phone. I have read a lot of articles about double dins such as https://doubledinguide.com and my final decision was buying the JVC KW-M730BT. It had the Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
im planning to upgrade my 06 stock radio to a sony ax5000 multimedia unit. will upload info of my install once i'm. my experience with old car 2006-2010, i could program the sony headunit steering controls without an additional steering wheel controller.
other radios like jvc and kenwood, i purchased and tried axxess aswc-1 and pac-swi

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with the Pioneer AVH-4400NEX because it would wirelessly connect to my iPhone for Apple CarPlay. $440 on Amazon but worth the extra money. I can play internet music and use Waze while the phone is still in my pocket or hidden in one of the storage bins.

You'll probably also want to get the Maestro ADS-MRR steering wheel control adapter. Not only will it interface with your steering wheel controls, it will also work with the OBD system in your Odyssey and display engine information on your receiver. Pretty cool but it is a PITA for the DIY to install. Skip the inaccurate installation instructions and call tech support.

I also recommend the $14 micro-bypass Video In Motion adapter to fool the receiver into thinking you are parked with the e-brake on. Passengers can watch video and you can program GPS on the fly. Get a back up camera as well. My factory one was fried - otherwise there are articles on how to splice into the rear camera you have already.

Don't forget the $7 Metra 40-HD10 antenna adapter and the Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ tuning microphone so it will tune your 4 speakers automatically like your surround system at home. It made the speaker level adjustments for subwoofer as well as the 4 speakers, and adjusted the tone and sound based on the acoustics of the van.

Go for it and don't look back - no interference whatsoever with the other systems in the van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts