Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 1/2 month old and will need to buy a carseat for him. Can someone recommend a good carseat for the '02 Odyssey?

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Britax Roundabout.

Aprox $199.99 avaliable at Babies R Us and The Right Start.

Check the internet and eBay for best prices.
Search on Yahoo.

Never, Never buy a used car seat. The may have been involved in an accident which I know AAA traffic safety recommends that you buy a new one.

Good Luck

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi wahorn,

Similar to a post I made in the leather thread...

I normally place an old blanket under the car/booster seat to prevent it from permanently denting the points where it sits on the leather or cloth seats.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have been very pleased with our car seats from Britax http://www.childseat.com/ and Evenflo http://www.carseat.com. Go to their web sites, pick the one(s) that best fit your needs, are most convenient, and possibly make you life a little simpler, and then shop the Internet and locally for best prices. Last I checked Britax and Evenflo seemed to have less recalls http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ than some of the others brands. Peace of mine is well worth a piece of your paycheck. Also, check the Kids and Safety forum on this board for additional car seat discussions. Good Luck ... Ain’t Life Grand!?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – great, but inadequate for a family of 5
’86 Civic – bye, bye my little old friend
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES w/all the fixings – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
564 Posts
Also be sure to check out the Britax Advantage. It is the newest "RoundAbout." It has a bit more padding, can recline a bit, and has a VERY slick shouder-harness-and-headrest adjusting knob. No more threading the straps through a slot in the seat when you need to change sizes, and you can customize the fit to your child perfectly on the fly. Sometimes our daughter is in full foul-weather gear, and looks like the Michellin Man, other times, she all but naked. Being able to quickly adjust the seat is very nice. The only drawback to the Advantage, is that it is STILL not ISOFIX compatible, which drives me nuts. I own two cars with ISOFIX anchors, and can't buy the seat to take advantage of them. I think Britax has just realeased the Freeway Plus which is forward-facing only, and has the ISOFIX attachments. Fischer-Price also has a n ISOFIX seat I believe.

- Darell

------------------
Ordered:
2002 EXL-NAV. White/fern

·
Registered
55 Posts
the fisher price safe embrace 2 is one of the only latch car seats out there right now - boo hoo! what's worse, fisher price is pulling out of the car seat business, though they have promised to continue to support their seats - if you see one at babies r us at clearance....GRAB IT! from the EXTENSIVE research i've been putting into car seats (first due end of january, 2002, thus the ody purchase!) - it seems the britax is the clear winner - the roundabout has gotten all the buz - i don't know about their new one yet (so much for my extensive research!) - also, consumer reports liked the graco snugride as a rear facing infant seat. i WAS partial to the alpha-omega by cosco, till consumers trashed it as a booster - so, basically uncle gary recommends the britax roundabout - possibly the new britax (advantage?) - i dunno about that one yet!
good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not so sure the new Britax is worth the extra $30 (appears to be $230) as compared to the Roundabout ($200), which many people seem to like. How does the roundabout install into the Odyssey? Is it fairly easy and does it have a snug fit? We also have a '95 Acura Integra 4-door that we will be using the seat in until we get the '02 Odyssey. Does anyone know if it will install easily in that vehicle as well?

Thanks again.

Also, is there any seat out there the anchors in the middle seats? Is this the latch/ISOFIX anchors that was refered to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops. I should have read over my post.

I meant to say, are there any seats out there that used the anchors in the middle seats of the Odyssey? Is this the latch/ISOFIX anchors that was refered to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You also might want to check out the "Kids and Safety" Forum on this board - there is quite a bit of info about carseats and the Odyssey there...

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wahorn:
How does the roundabout install into the Odyssey? Is it fairly easy and does it have a snug fit? </font>
I can't speak to the fit of this particular car seat, but the best tip I ever got for getting any seat to fit snugly is to put your knee in the middle of the car seat and bear all your weight onto it while tightening the belt. It gets so tight that you can't rock it at all. Be sure to get the tether anchor kits (if they don't come with the seat) too. This is a belt and suspenders approach. It kept my kid's boosters from budging an inch in a bad front end collision. Good luck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The Roundabout works great in the Odyssey. I have a close friend down the street with a 3-year-old, and it's the bee's knees.

You can get the seat in there so tight that you just know the van seat will go flying LONG before the child seat seperates from the van seat.
It's the teather that makes a huge difference.

- Darell

·
Registered
117 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gary:
the fisher price safe embrace 2 is one of the only latch car seats out there right now - boo hoo! what's worse, fisher price is pulling out of the car seat business, though they have promised to continue to support their seats - if you see one at babies r us at clearance....GRAB IT! </font>

Gary where did you hear about Fisher Price pulling out of the car seat market? That is really too bad as we love their seats (and Consumer Reports gives them an excellent rating).

We are in the market for a "Grow-With-Me" so I guess we better buy it soon.... before they are all gone.

Cheers... Gary

------------------
2002 MB EX-L RES (on order... ready to cancel as RES not available in Canada)
1998 EX-V6 Accord
1988 Si-4WS Prelude...... looks like I get to keep you longer... ahh something positive at least!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Consumer Reports mentions this in their latest review of car seats. I didn't see it initially, and called Fisher Price to ask why I couldn't find any of their seats. The rep said they discontinued manufacturing their seats in June. Just weren't best sellers, they said. Luckily, I found a Safe Embrace booster when I went to Toys R Us two weeks ago. I know it's not a Britax, but it got equally positive reviews, and after the sale price and rebate it cost only 39.99. Mind you, this is the booster for older kids, without the harness. It's for my five year old. But I haven't seen any other FP seats anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Fisher Price is indeed out of the carseat business, though they will continue to support current models. You may still find some on shelves if you are lucky, but don't expect replacement covers and other accessories to be available in 4 years.

More information and photos on carseats and the Odyssey are here:
http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

You can also find information pages on LATCH, tethers and a fairly detailed FAQ on carseats at the site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts