Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I live in New England and we get snow and all sorts of stuff that come along with it - sand, salt, chemicals etc.
Did anyone risk going through a touchless carwash with a cargo box on? If so, how did it go? How did you find the one that would be high enough not to touch the cargo box?

Right now I am using self-carwash, but as you can imagine it's not very useful during the
Wheel Tire Cloud Automotive side-view mirror Car

winter months.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the touch less washes can clear a factory Ram 2500, I'd think they could clear the roof box. There should be a height limit on the entrance of the car wash.
good point. have you ever tried going through touchless with roofbox on? Just looking to learn from someones else mistake if it's a bad idea :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't think that is a good idea. Many carwash post signs outside discourage customers with certain accessories mounted on their vehicles. I would stick with your original idea of self carwash.

·
Registered
404 Posts
1. I've had things - not cargo box but the actual rack/crossbars - catch
2. It will make a mess - even under optimal conditions, self-carwash misses a lot of trailing-edge things - i.e. trunk, rear window, etc.

In summary, don't do it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Arent touchless carwashes just an automated self-wash? In theory, if it's anything like the one in this video, you should be fine as long as it clears the height of the roof box; it's just high-pressure water coming at you from all angles. The only problem I could see from here is water getting trapped between the box and the roof, but it should air dry during the drive.

Edit: another video, but of a car with a roof box

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arent touchless carwashes just an automated self-wash? In theory, if it's anything like the one in this video, you should be fine as long as it clears the height of the roof box; it's just high-pressure water coming at you from all angles. The only problem I could see from here is water getting trapped between the box and the roof, but it should air dry during the drive.

Edit: another video, but of a car with a roof box
It is, the only benefit is it has under car wash + blowing air to dry the car after.
I am usually handwashing my car, but during winter it's not an option :(

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and in the second video it actually shows that height didn't clear for that SUV, so I guess not a good idea
But people with high vehicles (MB Sprinter, etc) must have also an option of the carwash? Do they usually go to the truck wash?

·
Registered
141 Posts
and in the second video it actually shows that height didn't clear for that SUV
Looks like it barely cleared the SUV+roof box (can see the water splashing off the top of the box at around 0:24). I wouldn't rule it out without asking the facilities about the clearance of their machines or your specific case of roof boxes - we've got a couple more inches of clearance than SUV's do, so that's giving me hope.

Not sure what SUV is in the video, but it looks like a 1st gen GMC Acadia, which has a height of 72.8" while the Odyssey is at 69.6", so about 3 inches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts