Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Odyssey EX with 74,000 miles. In the last 3 years it has had a new transmission placed and in April 2010 a whole new EGR computer installed. Now once again the check engine light is on and it is the catalytic converter code. I read that there was a bulletin by Honda regarding the check engine light for catalytic converter code could be a defect in the "check engine light". Has anyone else heard this? Also, is it true that Honda will replace the catalytic converter under warranty up to 80,000 miles?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Unfortunately, you have exceeded the time limit on that warranty. It is either 8 or 7 years.
There are thousands of replies on code P0420 in this forum.

- Vikas

·
Registered
539 Posts
If your EGR valve passageways in the intake manifold have not yet been cleaned out, they are almost certainly plugged by now and you should have it cleaned out. This can cause problems with the catalytic converter.

There is a service bulletin on the EGR ports linked in a thread here somewhere. You don't necessarily have to follow it (it involves using an unobtanium custom-designed stepped drill bit and drilling out a passage in the intake manifold and then inserting a steel tube into the drilled-out hole), but you should at the very least clean out the port (should be considered a maintenance item every 75K miles or so).

You can also install a spark plug non-fouler (search for that term) on the oxygen sensor mounted to the rear of the catalytic converter, many have done so including myself and had it turn off the check engine light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts