Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, I tell ya... Honda just made big strides in making me a repeat customer.

Here's the story... purchased a used '07 Ody EXL-NAV with 79,000 miles in mid August of this year. About two weeks later, emissions light comes on so I check google and odyclub and make sure gas cap is secure. Light goes off the next day, but come back on a week later. I call my local Honda dealer to take it in (Parker Johnstone's Wilsonville Honda), but light goes off again the day before the appt. I call service rep. and they say it's probably the gas cap and as long as the light goes back off, we should be fine.

We put up with it for several months, light coming on every week or two, but always going off the next day. Finally it was time for an oil change (83,500) miles, so we tell the dealer to try and determine the cause of the emissions light issue. The Honda tech had to turn the van on and off repeatedly and drive it around for half an hour, but finally go the light to come on... and determined we had a bad catalytic converter.

The dealer called to let us know van was ready and that it needed a new cat -- a $1400 job, and that the warranty on that item expired at 80K miles. But, they knew we had made and canceled an appointment back when it was under 80K, so they would submit paperwork to Honda corporate to have them cover the cat.

End result: Honda covered the $1220 part, and I paid $180 for labor. One of the first times I've ever been thrilled to be paying $180.

Kudos to Wilsonville Honda's service department for going to bat for me, and kudos to Honda corporate for honoring warranty on the cat when we were past 80K. Outstanding. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
that's beautiful!

was the part really $1220???

i've been quoted $500-plus at one dealership and over $800 at another dealership for the same work - replacing the catalytic...

see my post "catalytic issues...???"

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136836[/URL]

in any case...we did not have issues prior to the 80K mile expiration on the emissions warranty, but you can see what i'm talking about there...

additionally, if you see the link "walt43" posted in response to my post, at least in the 2nd gen ody's the catalytics seem to have repeated incidences of the check engine light coming on and a solution seems to be to provide the O2 sensor a spacer to pull it back out of the path of the catalytic a bit...

congrats on the success with getting honda to cover it!

just wondering, what was the $180.00 labor charge based on???

the one dealership with the lower estimate quoted me (verbally) approx. $167.00 for labor, while the more expensive estimate was approx. $440.00 for labor!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts