Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ody'02 is parked outside in Visalia California for a few days and its cat is stolen. This is the second time the thieves laid their hands on it. Two years ago they cut off the connection pipe to the muffler but failed to cut off the front pipe. But this time they cut off the front pipe closer to the engine.

1. Can I still drive the car while trying to figure out repairing?
2. Any good source to get replacement economically (I live in California)?
3. How to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
1) Cali law can be crazy. You could probably be shot on sight for disconnecting your CatCon.
2) If you live in SoCal, drive over to Mexico. Else, see #1.
3) Gated lot with junkyard dog.

Edits:
Looks like you can get a CARB compliant Cat from Rock for $302. Who knew? But I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas has muffler shops that do a good volume of Cat replacements with EPA standard Cats.

Reactions: ulbhpy

·
Registered
392 Posts
I can't say whether they work or not but you can get a Catalytic Converter Shield from the internet and have your mechanic install it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dont know if Authoritarian Cali cops wont pull you over, Mechanically it will run ,ran mine with y-pipe cut off and cat missing for over a month it was Louuddd,slow, and horribly smelly.

I believe you being in Cali you have to get a CARB compliant unit which =$$$$
Only aftermarket Cat id recommend is Magnaflow Brand, ebay cats dont last
Ouch $806.00
https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...-carb-compliant-universal-catalytic-converter

Most crooks wont want an aftermarket cat as it isnt worth much compared to OEM.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,496 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Stealing cat. converters and gas are both drastically on the rise. A locking gas cap can help prevent siphoning, but puncturing gas tanks is increasing too.

As many mentioned there are measures to help prevent the converter from being stolen, but there aren't many real good options for the gas tank.

Best suggestion I have for that is to back into a space over a curb where the height of the curb limits options for puncturing tools and gas collection pans.

Make yourself a hard target any way possible so they move on to easy targets.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gas isnt a target ,yettt around here. Some out of towners leave valuables visible and crooks just break their window and run.

·
Registered
933 Posts
IMHO. California Law. Must replace with OEM new :mad: Converter. In order to pass "every" 2 year vehicle smog test. If you do not pass, you cannot get your "tags", Vehicle registration.

You are not allowed to use "junk yard" oem converter. :mad: Welcome to California. (n)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
IMHO. California Law. Must replace with OEM new :mad: Converter
False. Must be CARB approved. For some vehicles there are CARB approved aftermarket converters.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
933 Posts

https://www.arb.ca.gov › aftermktcat › aftermktcat

May 9, 2019 — Aftermarket catalytic converters must be exempted from California's anti-tampering laws in order to be legally sold and installed in the ...

Interesting. Just looked up this now. Appears, there may have been a change in the law. Need to be sure your converter is qualified. Also, check with smog inspectors to be sure you are covered. Hate to install expensive
converter, only to have your car, not pass the smog test. Lot's of small print.
Good luck..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Also, check with smog inspectors to be sure you are covered.
So, merely buying one from the approved list is not enough? Seriously? Someone must get approval from the local bureaucrat to ensure that the law, as written, will be applied to them? Does that require membership in the CCP? Financial contributions to the right group or person?

Echos of China's required permission to have a child.

Reactions: Nrajeff and dbier

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Ody'02 is parked outside in Visalia California for a few days and its cat is stolen. This is the second time the thieves laid their hands on it. Two years ago they cut off the connection pipe to the muffler but failed to cut off the front pipe. But this time they cut off the front pipe closer to the engine.

Thanks.
strap (stainless hose clamps) or weld 3 or 4 (or more) pieces of steel reinforcement bar (rebar) to pipe in front and behind cat. Won't stop them from cutting but might slow them down or be enough of deterrent to make them move on to easier pickings.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The Mad Max Ody!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank @Ted for the information. I bought a catalytic converter and an O2 sensor from Rockauto. Got them installed, and so far so good.

According to the muffler shop, thieves are less interested in after-market catalytic converters since they are worth less. But I still plan to add some security device to the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts