Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Odyssey EX 268,000 miles
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah there is apparently a lot of money in stealing cat converters these days. I did replace all 4 O2 sensors a few months ago and I went with the recommended brand on this forum. So
I don’t believe it is likely to be one of my sensors that is bad. Also no VCM on my EX model that shouldn’t be a factor in oil burning. I rarely have had to add any oil between changes at all even at the mileage I have on it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Been pulling a po420 code showing bank 1 converter operating below threshold. My odyssey has close to 270,000 miles on it now but runs pretty good still so I am looking into replacing the converter. I have already tried the cleaning technique with a gallon of lacquer thinner but code reappeared after about a week.
1. I want to confirm first of all that the bank1 converter is in fact one toward the front side of the car engine and radiator?
Did you drive it for at least 150 miles after pouring in the lacquer thinner with half tank of gas? I don't know if that would work or not. But if you follow the instruction from Scott Kilmer, at least you should do exactly what he said. How about the option 2 of soaking it in a bucket of laundry detergent?

If you are not sure what I am talking about then here is the link

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
262 Posts
Interesting video.
There was another thread recently that I saw where somebody used a product specifically made for this purpose.

Looking at Amazon's reviews for a specialty cleaner some people reported that the cleaners would turn the CEL off and keep it off... not sure how long. I didn't happen to notice what I was looking for which was somebody who had the light on steady and after 1 treatment has now seen the light stay off for a long period of time. Some reviewers were just looking to get past emissions tests using this. I would also be skeptical of any product that needs this to be part of a maintenance program or requires you to change the octane you used for anything longer than the tank of gas.

If you try one of these products and have good results, I would be interested in hearing about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been pulling a po420 code showing bank 1 converter operating below threshold. My odyssey has close to 270,000 miles on it now but runs pretty good still so I am looking into replacing the converter. I have already tried the cleaning technique with a gallon of lacquer thinner but code reappeared after about a week.
1. I want to confirm first of all that the bank1 converter is in fact one toward the front side of the car engine and radiator?

2. Secondly I noticed a considerable difference in price between the OEM CONVERTER and after market ones. According to my reading some of the aftermarket converters can be problematic and not clear the codes or only last a year or two before having to be replaced again. I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest brand but am unsure I want to drop close to $700 in the OEM part if I can find a reliable aftermarket converter for much less, especially on a vehicle with 270K on it.
My second question, has anyone tried and had success with any of the better aftermarket brands on these odysseys? I was looking at the Bosal brand on Rochauto.com. It is more expensive than the other brands but about half of the OEM part.

input and advice much appreciated!
Mr. Grandpubah...
I personally experienced a failing cat convertor...
I tried going with an new aftermarket convertor...
Didn't work because the configuration, was incorrect; missing mounting tabs for the two half heat shields...
Also found out that the proportion of 'exotic metals' metals didn't meet honda oem specifications...
This would be a set-up for early failure...
I have mechanical skills, which were simple enough; loosen & remove nuts from the back of the flanges where the catalytic convertor mounts on both ends of exhaust pipe...
Raise and put on jack stands; spray nuts with lubricant or marvel mystery oil.
Replace nuts and flange gaskets or metal seal(s)...
Catalytic convertors come with bolts already press fitted

(Extremely important!!!)
Check you tube video(s) for running your engine at 1500 to 2500 rpms, for 5 to ten minutes, to break in convertors!
Otherwise convertors can fail afterwards!
Replace sooner rather than later...otherwise other parts including engine, can fail

21 - 24 of 24 Posts