Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 EX-L and my catalytic converter was stolen. They cut through the exhaust pipes. Of course, I have the annual emission test coming due soon...

I'm contemplating going DIY but if it's too complex or more expensive, may ask a shop (I don't have a welder). Some questions:

- Any recommendation on aftermarket converters? I'm thinking Walker 16457 Ultra EX Converter - Extra Precious Metal Loading that costs $260. Not sure about its long term reliability (has 2 positive reviews on Amazon) but don't want to go to cheapest option nor new OEM that is too expensive.

- Given that the thief cut the front exhaust pipe and the beginning of the muffler, there are no places to put the nuts anymore. Do you think I can secure the converter using exhaust adapters + extension + clamps? Or do I need to buy and replace the exhaust pipes as well (tricky thing is that the rear muffler is all welded)?

Cut parts highlighted in red (found pics online)
Front:

Back:

Clamps/Pipes/extension:

Thanks and appreciate any help!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Well that stinks. First thing I would try is to see if anyone local is parting a similar year van so you could get the missing pipes. This looks like it will take some welding to make it right. You may want to try a muffler shop as they have the parts to weld it back into shape. I think the one below is what has been recommended.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did they take the O2 sensor too?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update: I couldn't find the right 3-pointed flange to fit the cat so ended up going to a muffler shop which charged $150 in labor to weld cat, install both O2 sensors and change a loose part from the front exhaust. CEL is now gone and the car sounds even quieter.

One comment on the O2 sensors for 2003 Odyssey: based on Rockauto and Autozone, it seems that NTK is the OE part for downstream and Denso for upstream. That's how I bought and based on previous posts in the forum, Denso and NTK are the brands to buy.

Let's see how long the Walker cat lasts and hopefully it won't be stolen again! 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
That's a pretty good deal for that work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts