Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have catalytic converter stolen from my car on Monday morning at 4.30am. I have the video. Unfortunately I can't see plate numbers or any other details of the thieves.
The car was parked on the street in front of my house and it took them 3 minutes to do the job. The car worth $2500 after I'll fix cat problem. What are my options to repair it? OEM used $400, OEM new $1200, aftermarket $100-$300. Plus I'll need Oxygen sensor and who knows what else thieves damaged when they did it? Does anyone want this car as is?

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
If you can get a used OEM one that would be my preference. Aftermarket cats don't usually last much more than a year. Most places will not sell used cats, though.

They steal them to sell for the precious metals inside.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Warning, this may not be the most PC answer. Unless you live in California (or any other state that tailpipe tests), I would purchase the absolute cheapest catalytic converter you can find (new or in good working condition). Add a mechanical O2 simulator to the secondary o2 sensor and call it a day. I wouldn't skimp on the sensor(s) themselves, however. NGK or Denso OEM only. No sense in spending hundreds of dollars on an old van.

On second thought... I just re-read the part about you wanting to get rid of the van. Same would still apply, if the buyer was aware/okay with it. Or you can find a buyer to buy, as is. You can also adjust the price of the van, depending on which cat a prospective buyer wants. No cat, cheap cat or OEM cat.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Urban legend has it that Hondas have more precious metals than average. That supposedly makes the brand a prime target for CC thieves.

At least that was the explanation the local police offered after a recent rash of CC thefts from Honda's in my city.

@sekal, sorry about your dilemma. It's a shame that repairing the van needlessly could cost a substantial part of its value. On the other hand, even the cost of an OEM cat would be only a small part of the cost of replacing the van with anything decent.

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
In regard to OEM vs aftermarket cat converter, I had the same question when needing one about 6 years ago for my '95 Toyota truck. I ended up going with a Walker direct-fit (no welding, just bolted directly on) for about $125. It appears to still be going strong, as I just had a WA state emissions test..the old-school type that involved an actual measurement from the tailpipe. I compared the results to 6 years ago and virtually the same numbers. As far as exposure to the elements...we have lots of rain, but chemicals/salt aren't used on the roads in our area. Visually, the cat still looks fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
its a horrible feeling l had it happen last june, cordless saws all id assume, floor jack imprint remained and scuffed trail through wooded area to rd. l had an econ unit installed and the faulty sensor baffled and wasted my time until l took it back to the man. l installed lights to area and a 8"x 16' anchored metal barrier parallel length of the van to straddle when l park. High clearance is why these and any generic suvs are targeted, feels terrible, keep the car build security.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I gave one of my sons my '03 about 2.5 yrs. ago. He works in SF and parks at the S. Hayward BART station, same spot all the time. When he left last night, had a loud noise. I went over to take a look. Exhaust pipe before and after the cat sawed half way through. A broken and bent blade was stuck in the front cut. Probably a cordless reciprocating saw. Thief must not had a spare to complete the job.
He's getting the cuts welded over now ($150) and shop is suggesting they will try again and there are a couple of things, like welding guards over the usual cut area, that could deter this in the future.
Just going for the quick fix for now.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
... parks at the S. Hayward BART station, same spot all the time.
Ouch!...$150 just to weld the cuts?!

Have your son change up his spots to make it more difficult for roaming hawks to learn his schedule.

·
Registered
64 Posts
'Ouch' is probably right, but I wasn't going to stay overnight and then go price shopping for him in the a.m.
Everything is outrageous in the Bay Area. I'm 80 mi. away and gas is $0.76 more a gal. over there!
He's going to pick a spot closer to the station for now, more in camera and live police view. He gets there so late normally, only outlying spots left. Now with C-19, lots are mostly empty.
BART police coming to his house to pick up broken blade and ask ?'s.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What really sucks is that if OP wants the best for his van and goes OEM, what are the chances the thieves won't be back for round 2?
It is absolutely appalling to imagine thieves pulling up to your vehicle in their own at night, and then hacking parts out under your car! I hope the absolute worst for these scumbags

·
Registered
64 Posts
My son is going to have the muffler shop that did the repair weld a cage around the cat - suggested by the shop. They could still steal it, but would have to cut thru a lot of rebar just to get it out.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
A cage around the cat is a good idea.

Most thieves will move on to easier pickings if they see an obstacle in their way. Spending more time on a job would increase their chances of being caught.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts