Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2009 Odyssey with 140,000 miles. Check engine light came on. Dealer says I need a catalytic converter. Seems odd to me as the 3 previous Chrysler mini vans I had and drove to 250,000+ miles never needed to replace the cat. converter. Any thoughts? Is this normal? Also, my Honda dealer gave me 2 options, a Honda OEM replacement or a non-OEM which is $300 - $400 less. Appreciate thoughts from others.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,682 Posts
Is your Ody an EX-L or Touring? If so, it could be VCM related if you've never disabled the VCM.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Go with oem on this . Also there are three cat on the odyssey which of the three did they say is bad?Does your ody have vcm? If you don't know this will help.is it a exl or a touring? . If it is then buys a vcmtuner2 it will delete the vcm which causes alot of unnecessary wear and tear on engine and torque convertor , mounts

Very easy install

The Chrysler vans you had didn't have this feature. And this may be a reason the cat went bad .

I've had this on my 2009 odyssey for almost 20k and vcm hasent activated at all .
Vcm in short cuts the rear 3cyl out to save on fuel and better mgs so they say but it hammers the piston ring engine mounts and torque convertor with excessive wear. Good luck .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your Ody an EX-L or Touring? If so, it could be VCM related if you've never disabled the VCM.
It is an EX-L. VCM never disabled--I am not the slightest bit of a mechanic--beyond adding oil, washer fluid, air in tires and gas. ;-)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I know this is off topic from your cat converter question, but as said you should definitely muzzle your VCM. They are very easy to install and cost about $100. I think you can do it. The easiest one to install is the VCMUZZLER sold by Verbatim. The one recommended here earlier is preferred but slightly more complicated to install.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
There are three cats but only two of them will set a code. The third cat is not monitored.

Catalytic converters can burn out due to a variety of reasons. They can be cheaply made...likely not the problem here, but is a problem with aftermarket cats. Usually they have too much fuel or oil run down through them. If the vehicle is burning oil it will heat clog them up. Oil burning can happen on these VCM vehicles due to dirty piston rings and plug fouling caused by the VCM cylinder pause system. You can also have faulty O2 sensors which are feeding back incorrect data to the computer causing it to add more fuel than it should and will cause the cats to heat up and burn out over time. Also misfires which can send raw fuel through the cat will quickly damage converters. Misfires on these engines can also be cause by VCM.

So, that's why all the recommendations to "muzzle" the engine. This simply means to disable the VCM system. I'd also, depending on mileage, replace the O2 sensors. They are wear items and don't last more than 120-130K miles at most.

Once all that is done you can replace your converters and as long as the vehicle is running fine otherwise, they should last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts