Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I only see two catalytic convertors... front and rear...
You could always change the front only, for beginners...
Ohio has an exemption if you have spent about $400 and the check engine light still comes back on. Check your state! You could change all 4 sensors and if a shop does it that would probably do it. You have to have proof. Every state is different, not everyone has a bunch of money right now. And like John says do not buy aftermarket. I’ve seen the city try to be cheap and ended up replacing the cats again at about 50k on our emergency truck. If you have a really good scanner you can see the difference between 50k mile OE cats vs brand new aftermarket!
same thing with Honda Water pump vs aftermarket! Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
According to this web site, there is only one convertor (P/N: 18150-RVD-A00) for 2013 Odyssey, and they are selling for $357.56. The are online Honda part center.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am not sure on the Honda engine but on some like the Nissan's if you continue to run bad primary cats and the material breaks apart it can get sucked back into the cylinders and destroy the engine and is well documented.

As far as buying and selling used cats, check with your state first as it is illegal in some states.
I can't figure out under what conditions something in the exhaust can get sucked back into the engine. The exhaust side should never experience negative pressure. What am I missing?

Buying and selling a used cat to use in a car might be illegal in some states, but selling a used cat for it to get recycled is not illegal. It can be quite profitable. Which sadly means theft of convertors is quite high right now. I know a couple of victims.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,269 Posts
I can't figure out under what conditions something in the exhaust can get sucked back into the engine. The exhaust side should never experience negative pressure. What am I missing?
Engines with dual cam phasing (and even some that don't) can suck a small amount of exhaust back into the cylinder or even let some back up into the intake runner. Exhaust doesn't just 'flow' - it pulses and very odd things can happen with the resulting pressure waves and interaction between cylinders. It varies significantly by engine RPM, load and engine design, so it is not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,269 Posts
I only see two catalytic convertors... front and rear...
You could always change the front only, for beginners...
According to this web site, there is only one convertor (P/N: 18150-RVD-A00) for 2013 Odyssey, and they are selling for $357.56. The are online Honda part center.
There are three catalytic converters on the van. One up near each exhaust port (the head only has one exhaust port - the runners merge inside the head) and one below the van after the front and rear back exhaust merges. The main O2 sensors are each located between the head and first cat on each bank. The sub oxygen sensors are just below each of the first cats on each bank. There are no O2 sensors after the third cat.

If you are trying to find them on the parts diagrams, it is a bit confusing because they (both the cats and O2 sensors) are split between two images.

-Charlie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My 2013 exl has both cat codes showing. 132,000 miles, vcm installed at 131,000 If I decide to not replace cats can I do any further damage? Expecting to get 5 more years out of van

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,902 Posts
My 2013 exl has both cat codes showing. 132,000 miles, vcm installed at 131,000 If I decide to not replace cats can I do any further damage? Expecting to get 5 more years out of van
If your fuel economy is fine, you can technically leave the cats alone since they are not clogged. Your check engine light will be lit and you won't be able to pass emissions inspection if your state has those, though.

If the lights just came on recently, chances are your cat's efficiency is "marginal"... you may be able to erase the codes, allow the computer to reset itself, and pass inspection for awhile longer. My Toyota's catalytic converter efficiency has been marginal for the past ~4 years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You have 3 cats.

That job is easy enough to do...it would take a day. You'll need ramps.

Don't do it until you find out what is going on w/the burning of oil as whatever is wrong will just ruin your new cats.

The sparkplug fouler...slightly illegal. I've never heard of it needing 2 of em, or needing steel wool. I've heard that it works.

A cat should last 150-200K, if not 50K more.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,902 Posts
I’m getting 20 mpg on my 2013 exl. With the two cat codes. 420 and 430. What’s normal mpg?
Seems pretty normal to me. 20 combined mileage is about what these vans get.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,269 Posts
What’s normal mpg?
Highly dependent on driving conditions and style. Anywhere from low-mid teens (all short city trips) to nearly 30mpg (all 70mph highway on cruise control).

-Charlie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello! Getting a p0420 and p0430 code on 2013 odyssey. Just installed the VCM tuner last week and had mechanic put new plugs in today. I’ve tried the cataclean, clear codes but still comes back on. He quoted $1600 to replace all three cats and another $400 for the four O2 sensors. Instead of forking out $2000, what are thoughts on just replacing the two upstream sensors and see if that solves the problem first. If not then replace all three cats.
Thanks!!
Hello! Getting a p0420 and p0430 code on 2013 odyssey. Just installed the VCM tuner last week and had mechanic put new plugs in today. I’ve tried the cataclean, clear codes but still comes back on. He quoted $1600 to replace all three cats and another $400 for the four O2 sensors. Instead of forking out $2000, what are thoughts on just replacing the two upstream sensors and see if that solves the problem first. If not then replace all three cats.
Thanks!!
I have an 08 and the cat codes came up because my wife drives 1 mile to the store and 1 mile home, never got hot enough to 'clean' the cats. At just over empty on gas I put in two cans of SeaFome and drove the SHIT out of it up hill and 100+ mph with foot flat to the floor. That was two years ago and no codes. The ticket would have cost as much as the cats if I got stopped. Be careful with that idea.

·
Registered
184 Posts
2011 with 145k miles here. I’m the original owner. Cat codes popped a couple of months ago but the check engine light went off on its own. It came back in again today. We live in an emissions testing state so I have to get this fixed before the next inspection.

I’m getting sick of pouring money into this but I don’t want to buy a new van. In the last year or so I’ve replaced:
  • ps pump
  • front engine seal
  • rear coil seat pads
  • ac fan (behind the radiator)
  • warped rotors (and pads) all around

it also needs front axles for another grand or so.
Sigh

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
216 Posts
2011 with 145k miles here. I’m the original owner. Cat codes popped a couple of months ago but the check engine light went off on its own. It came back in again today. We live in an emissions testing state so I have to get this fixed before the next inspection.

I’m getting sick of pouring money into this but I don’t want to buy a new van. In the last year or so I’ve replaced:
  • ps pump
  • front engine seal
  • rear coil seat pads

Sigh
Ouch! Tough repair year. Have you disabled VCM? If not, the oil that gets through is hurting the cats.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven’t disabled VCM, but I did have a ring failure on one bank in the first 10k miles or so from it. That was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,902 Posts

• ps pump
  • front engine seal
  • rear coil seat pads

Sigh
Read my post #9 on this recent thread:

Your state probably allows one incomplete monitor as well. Since these codes recently started coming up, your cat is probably iffy but still functional (assuming the problem is actually the cat and not something else, like O2 sensors).

Did you check the most recent codes with a code scanner to determine that the codes that came back are indeed catalytic converter codes? If you haven't checked them yet, it could be something else that tripped the CEL.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks!!
Try 3 back to back bottles of Redline SL-1.
It contains a lot of PEA in it. PEA is the only chemical to survive combustion and clean exhaust valves 02 sensors and cat converters.
Also,if you can take the van for a lot of highway drives to get everything good and hot. Heat will breakdown the carbon and gunk that 'might be clogging your cat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks!!
Also don't wait disable your VCM......
Now. That system is dumping oil and carbon into your cat converters.
It's aweful......
THEN, do the SL-1 treatment with a 6 spark plug change.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts