Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had to replace their catalytic on a 3rd gen???

we have a:
2006 ody exl-t (touring) res + nav
silver pearl metallic / black

almost 84k miles

wife was driving...check engine light came on...owner's manual refers this as a possible emissions issue, with checking & re-tightening the gas cap...

tried this a couple of times and continued to drive afterward with no change (light stayed on)

dropped of at local dealer today...

told it was the catalytic that needed replacing and that the emissions system warranty is 8yr/80k miles, as we are outside that, we'd have to pay...

quoted $568 (out the door) parts & labor

will pick it back up as they're missing the gaskets anyway...

bernardi & college hills parts = save us over $100.00

anyone had this problem???

looking for insight, help, suggestions...

thank you!

·
Administrator
14,480 Posts
Try asking for goodwill since you're only 4K over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you!

@ dvpatel...

thanks for the suggestion...i'm going to attempt that route...already called american honda's 1.800. number...

i saw some catalytic issues when doing the search, although it seemd like almost - if not all of them - all were for the 2nd gen...

i just feel that under 100k miles, the catalytic shouldn't be an issue...i've/we've owned several high-mileage (170k, 140k, 102k, 107k, etc...) vehicles and i do not recall ever replacing a catalytic!!!

as an fyi dealer itemized the following parts as those that would be required...

>18290-RGL-A00 :: catalytic converter
>18115-RCA-A01 :: gasket
>18212-SA7-003 :: gasket

you all can go out there and cross-reference the parts & their respective prices, but in North Las Vegas, I was quoted $360.92 for the cat and approx. $20 total for the gaskets...

any thoughts as to whether or not a junkyard might sell a catalytic???

it's interesting that in either bernardi's or college hills' websites (don't remember which), they have a button you can click identifying all the other applications for the particular part you're looking up...and...for the catalytic, it applies to the 2005-07 ody touring, but for '08, '09 & 2010, it does not list the touring, but lists the LX and EX models...

just throwing it out there and sharing the info...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by the way...

although my screen name shows me as a junior member...

i was formerly a senior member as MESINCITY...and believe my account somehow was hijacked some time ago...

one day, while logging on, the odyclub site simply responded that my IP address was banned and i could not log on...

sent an email to the moderator, but never received a response

-me

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did a little after market checking for you as I have a 2006 as well. If you are in California no aftermarket part available yet. I think Cali has a 10 year warranty on emission equipment.

If you are not in Cali, try these websites

Walker

and

Amazon

The part I came up with was Walker Exhaust 16351 Ultra Import Converter - Non-CARB Compliant. YOU SHOULD CONFIRM THIS PART NUMBER, with you own points and clicks.

$187 at Amazon

Also MagnaFlow sells a standard and an OEM part. Online retailers heavily discount these parts.

Please let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
so, here's the follow-up...

@mtbiker...thank you for the additional research!!! much appreciated...just checked the application on the walker p/n and it is correct...walker's site calls the 16351" p/n a direct-fit part and they also supply a p/n "93253" as a universal...and the amazon.com price is correct...

i'm not necessarily the world's best negotiator, but i attempted a couple of different routes and received the same answer in each case..."the federal emissions standard warranty is 8yrs/80,000miles"...and that's that... as a sidebar, i was also told by an independent muffler shop that if it was inside the 8/80, that they couldn't touch it, by law, and that it is actually a federal offense for them to work on it inside the 8/80 parameters...that they'd immediately have sent me to the dealership

so, i'll cross-reference the parts pricing...however, i might just take it back to the dealer, as so far, they've actually provided the lowest labor cost! i know...shocking! ($157 labor vs. $250 est. @ ind. shop) [they've definitely never provided the lowest parts pricing...and that seems to be the way it goes in las vegas...when we were originally searching for our '06 as new, we ended up making a deal online with a dealer - right honda - in scottsdale, az...they came in between $2k-$3k lower than anyone in the area...]

back to our story...so i'll see if they (the dealer - i will, however, get one more estimate for labor from another independent shop)can do the work if i order/supply the parts...now, while looking around from underneath and inside the hood - and based on some noises we've been hearing, it appears the power steering pump is leaking...this adventure will most likely be posted in a new thread if i do not find any 3rd gen posts on it after performing a search!!!

once we get the catalytic issues resolved, i'll post our financial, parts & any other accompanying issues results...i'm looking to get this over with within the next two weeks...

any thoughts from the odyclub membership on aftermarket vs. honda parts? i do not know who manufactures the catalytic for honda...

the best aftermarket price so far is around $185 (magnaflow)and that's without shipping calculated
the best honda price so far is around $235, also w/o shipping calculated...wonder if it's worth sucking up the extra $50 to stick with the factory part...although i'm certainly not too excited about the original at this point...

also, for what it's worth, the independent shop i've taken it to so far to look at told me that if it was the front catalytic (it's actually three -3 - separate parts), they'd have to drop the frame to get it out...does that sound right? it does look tight in there...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
here's some follow-up

I began posting this in another thread, but will attempt to copy & paste into here, as this is probably the more appropriate location...

i didn't want to continue to wait with respect to verifying our check engine light...

there's a local dealer that's located kinda on my way in to work, while the one we've been using more frequently recently is one that's closer to our home...

in any case, tried a shot back at the one closer to work this morning...

already received a call back stating that on our '06 ody touring r + n there is a recall on the BRAKES-MASTER CYLINDER...

i'll edit this & post more info as i receive it...

but i took it into them to see if there's any major discrepancies in how the service is handled or in the diagnosis itself...

so far, the guy handling it seems to be on it...i'm not sure if that's because he's new or not...we haven't used this location in some while and it's not one of the service writers we've had before at this location...so we'll see...

OKAY...GOT THE CALLBACK...completely different estimate at Desert Honda than received at Findlay Honda...

Desert Honda = $110 Diagnostic Fee on Check Engine Light??? if I do not use them to service the diagnosis??? Fee Waived if service is performed...

Desert Honda Estimate:
-$326.63 :: Catalytic :: p/n 18290-RGL-A00
-$4.47 :: Gasket (qty 2 reqd) :: p/n 18115-RCA-A01
-$13.03 :: Gasket (qty 2 reqd) :: p/n 18212-SA7-003
-$440 :: LABOR :: approx. 4 hrs. required

-$875 :: TOTAL (estimated)

Findlay estimate = $568.00 parts & labor:
-$360.92 :: Catalytic :: p/n 18290-RGL-A00
-$20 :: Gaskets :: p/n 18115-RCA-A01 & p/n 18212-SA7-003
-$30 :: Tax
-$157 :: LABOR

-$568.00 :: TOTAL (estimated)

IS IT ME OR SHOULD I JUST BE RAGING AT THIS POINT??? I'M PISSED...THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE??? Awaiting a callback for total w/taxes info from Desert Honda...

I SHOULD GO TO HONDA WEST TO SEE WHAT THEY'RE CHARGING THESE DAYS!!!

just as an fyi on the local honda dealer scene in the las vegas valley...
-there's a dealer relatively southeast (shack-findlay honda - located at the automall)
-there's a dealer that's relatively central to the valley (desert honda)
-there's a dealer on the west side of town (honda west)
-there's a dealer up in the north part of the valley (findlay honda)

the one closest to home is findlay honda (north) and the one closest to work is desert honda (central)...the desert honda dealership is a part of the larger auto nation group...i believe they are a publicly traded company with stock shares available for purchase...i believe honda west is part of the larger sonic automotive group...findlay & shack findlay i do not have corporate info on, although they are most likely privately owned...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
is it

Honda policy to charge for a diagnostic if the work is not performed, even though it's a check engine light???

okay...my stupid fault...in signing off for it to be looked at, one of the sheets i initialed had the $110 ("preliminary estimate") on it...

the independent shop i usually use doesn't charge me this, but i've been going there for over 12 years...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow!

@walt43...

that is beautiful! thank you so much for providing that link!!! very informative...

i will need to validate the code that's popped up...it's not something i ran myself, as i was hoping honda would do a "goodwill"-type of thing, seeing as we're only 4k over the 80K federal emissions warranty...we're certainly not close to the 8 years, though, being an '06...

and based on what i'm reading in the associated links, a cat actually clogging up is a rare deal...i've owned enough vehicles with higher age and mileage and never came across this type of thing...

if the code matches, i'm going to go with the non-fouler and see where i end up...first, i'll run my own scanner, then, i'll take it to the independent shop i've been using for over 12 years!!!

i will certainly post an update...

this forum rocks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
okay...so here's

how it went down...

ended up being charged the $110 diagnostic fee...because I initialed for it as a "preliminary estimate"

but, here's what got done...

Catalytic Converter :: check engine light code came up as P0420 ("Needs Bank 1 Catalytic Converter") same as the code noted on Walt43's linked thread...good news there, I suppose...I still request them to hold off on the catalytic work...however...

once they're looking at it, the Service Writer (Harold Adams) calls me back to tell me that there's a recall on the Master Cylinder for the brakes...that will be covered by warranty...my response, okay, go ahead and do that...

I had also noted, when I dropped off the van that the power steering was making quite a bit of noise, to the point where there was resistance/vibration felt through the steering wheel...and I also noted I believed the power steering pump was leaking...it checked out, they found it was leaking and were going to replace that...that will be covered by warranty, but we need a part and should have it in tomorrow (SAT) morning...okay, we can do that...

Harold: your HondaCare also covers car rental if you need to leave your vehicle with us, so we'll get that set up too...

okay, we'll do that...

so, Friday was a busy day...we ended up getting a rental Friday afternoon (they have a deal here locally with Enterprise down the street and a gentleman drove over to Honda, picked me up and took me over to the Enterprise location)

Saturday, I called around 10:30AM to check on things, as Enterprise - at this location - closed at noon, earlier than Honda and earlier than when they'd have the Ody ready...called Enterprise, they just instructed me to leave the rental at Honda and have Honda call them first thing Monday...

got the Ody back, paid our $110...and now the check engine light is off...we're temporarily (until the light comes on again) clear of our catalytic issues, have a new power steering pump, new brake master cylinder (they also had to replace the float in the master cylinder - which they did not receive until Saturday either) and it seems to be running fine...

the only thing they did not do...and it concerns me, is that there was originally a TSB for the power steering fluid reservoir (oddly, I was informed of the Brake Master Cylinder Recall, but not the TSB for the Power Steering Fluuid Reservoir, even though I mentioned the pump in my initial drop-off diagnosis) to be replaced...that TSB originally came out June 17, 2008 and then was updated August 21, 2009 - it is TSB 07-005 - and the update basically calls out the Power Steering Fluid reservoir as "defective" (as told to me by an American Honda Customer Service person over the phone this afternoon)...so I am going to attempt getting this taken care of to, as it seems the performance of this part might very likely impact the longevity / performance of the power steering pump...and we don't want to do that again!!!

PS-Now looking at a newer post about Honda covering the cost of a catalytic replacement, the earlier note I posted about a labor estimate of about $160 makes sense...

·
Registered
30 Posts
@MESINCITY2

Thanks for the follow up. I planned on having the wife bring the ody in for the brake MS recall and I guess PS now.

My .02$, from someone who has fought with Cali smog laws, wait until you have to have a Smog Check. Then talk with the people at the Neveda test stations. Find out what the ramifications are if your Ody fails the test. Also, I have not looked at the Cat on an Ody but from the pictures, three bolts on each side and it should pop off (caution, exhaust fasteners are never easy) Maybe a DIY job with the aftermarket part.

I took a slight risk with my old pickup truck (82 Ford), the cat element was broken. I gutted the cat and ran the truck for a year until smog check time. I was going to take my chances as see if it would pass, but I found the aftermarket part for $60. I went to a local muffler shop (when the boss was not around), I handed a tech the part and $50 bucks. I told him to weld the cat in place and I don't want a receipt. I passed smog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts