Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 00 Odyssey has 168k miles on it. All original except I did timing belt and water pump as prescribed.

Van only threw a P0420 code once about 2 months ago and I cleared it but it did not come back.

The studs on my cat convertor rusted off, allowing the flanges to seperate and van got crazy loud, but I drilled 2 of them out and rebolted the flanges together (although I think I am missing the gasket). Runs fine and quiet now. Still no code.

I live in NY where we do emmisions testing and I do note some gasoline odor when driving and stopped at a light with the window open. Seems to be coming out from front or middle of car. Could this be from the missing gasket or would it also indicate a bad cat or O2? (still no CEL light on)

At this point I am thinking it is time to just bite the bullet and put on a new cat (i didn't yet do the other 4 bolts, and it wasn't easy to drill) and maybe both O2 sensors since they are so old. From searching here it seems as if OEM is the way to go for the Cat, and I think for the O2 as well?

Buying online and doing this myself still puts it close to $900.

Of course now I start thinking, well I also need struts and front end bushings, will soon need the rest of the exhaust, I have 166k on the original tranny which most seem to need to be replaced. Who knows what else. This is another $5k easy. Do I start down this road dumping this kind of money into an old car?

I do like the 2009 and up 4x4 Pilot but damn is it expensive...decisions..decisions.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The gasoline smell is more than likely coming from a rusted line. You need to inspect all the gas line for signs of dampness. It could be a leak anywhere in the gas system. Raw gas smell does not come from the converter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check that out. I thought maybe it was due to convertor or O2 but I guess there really shouldn't be any unburnt gas in there anyway since van runs fine, no miss and same mileage as always.

But I convinced myself I was being too cheap by fixing that cat and maybe having issues when I go to get it inspected. I guess the best idea maybe just to bring it in now, and do a quick emmisions test, rather than wait until February when it is due, and if there is an issue I won't want to fix it myself in the cold and snow!

Telstar.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Keep sniffing around, my 2000 sometimes smells at the fuel door although since I did the fuel neck sealing I think it is pretty much cured. It used to be much stronger smelling. A rusted line will look wet and a return line being rusted through would probably throw a code. If the cat code does come back, consider doing the O2 sensor mod listed somewhere on here. It basically moves the sensor away from the exhaust stream enough so the code doesn't come up, the Ody computer seems to have tight parameters.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Try adding the spark plug non-fouler to your secondary O2 sensor, it has done the trick on that intermittent P0420 code on our '01 van so far.

Fuel smell, first check for a leaky cap, and then as has been said, look for rust issues with a fuel line underneath somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts