Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The anti- theft light on our 2002 EXL-NAVI CD player is flashing when the engine is turned off. It doesn't flash during driving or when a CD is played. Like right now, it is sitting in the garage and the tiny light just keeps flashing. Is this normal ? How do I turn it off ?

·
Registered
628 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TurboRT:
The anti- theft light on our 2002 EXL-NAVI CD player is flashing when the engine is turned off. It doesn't flash during driving or when a CD is played. Like right now, it is sitting in the garage and the tiny light just keeps flashing. Is this normal ? How do I turn it off ?</font>
It is an anti-theft feature that is in nearly all Honda radios. The thief is supposed to see the light blinking and believe that if he breaks in it will set off an intrusion alarm, I guess.

As far as I know it can't be turned off. I guess you could put a piece of tape over it.

------------------
Mike Lowary
'00 traded-in
'02 ordered

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't think it is supposed to make a potential thief think the vehicle's intrusion alarm will go off. I think it tells the thief that if he steals the radio that it won't work without the code.

As you know that it is an anti-theft light, why would you want it to be turned off?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
Thats the HAL9000 unit. I wouldn't recommend trying to turn it off...
</font>
Good point! The <a href="http://www.hal-9000.net/">HAL9000</a> is the most reliable computer ever made; it is incapable of error.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply. That is what I thought too. But, my wife (who drives the van) is concerned. She thinks something is not right and it would eat up the battery.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What puzzles me is if the thief ever owned a Honda he would know that most dealers put the radio code sticker on the side of the glove box.

At least I'm told that is the standard practice.

-John

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
turbort:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thanks for your reply. That is what I thought too. But, my wife (who drives the van) is concerned. She thinks something is not right and it would eat up the battery.</font>
It's not an incandescent lamp; it's an LED. Light emitting diode. Takes virtually no juice to run. It's been awhile since I played in the electronics arena, but I think she's safe on the battery issue. Very much so.

SloopJohnB:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What puzzles me is if the thief ever owned a Honda he would know that most dealers put the radio code sticker on the side of the glove box.

</font>
Not the radio code, no. Honda gives with the owner packet a couple of stickers for the radio: one is the code, the other is the radio serial number.

It's wise to put the radio serial number sticker somewhere that the servicing technicians can get to it. With that, they can call Honda and get the radio code. And in fact, my salesman had me put it there for exactly that reason. Its sole purpose in life is to keep the techs from having to remove the radio to get the serial number off the back so that they can call Honda to get the code.

And it's not a security issue at all. If crooks somehow have access to the radio code from the radio serial number, well, that sticker isn't important. They already have the radio--with serial number inscribed on the back.

Only an idiot would stick the code itself on the car. You could stick it in your owner's manual, if you keep that at home like I do.

Also, my salesman learned long ago that it's great self-defense if he keeps a record of all his customers' key and radio codes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The dealership where I get service enters the radio codes (and Navi codes) into the owner's record in their computer. The code(s) print on the service work order that the mechanics receive. So if they disconnect the battery they have the code right there to enter.

At first I was concerned about having the codes available to them, but then I realized that anyone at the dealership could get a code using the s/n if they really wanted it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SloopJohnB:
What puzzles me is if the thief ever owned a Honda he would know that most dealers put the radio code sticker on the side of the glove box.

-John
</font>
When I bought my van, the salesman gave me the code on a card and then told me that theres also a sticker in the glovebox. I found it in the lower console bin and immediately removed it. I keep my codes in my service records book. I don't really care if a mechanic doesn't have the code, I'll just fix it when I get home.

------------------
Never thought I could get so excited over a minivan!
'02 GG EX-L
'93 Acura Legend L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts