Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my 2001 LX in about a week. I am looking to add CD capabilities and improve the overall sound of the audio system.
I need opinions on the best solution for under $350. Some of my options are:
1. Replace head unit with an aftermarket CD player such as an Alpine or Clarion.
2. Replace head unit with an CD/cassette combo (Sanyo/Excedio EXCD-1000)
3. Install the Alpine CHM-S620 6-disk CD changer that works directly with Honda's system and upgrade the speaker later.
4. Purchase Honda Single CD-player from hondapartsforyou.com.
I am not looking for the best possible sound, just the best CD solution that will also improve the sound. Thanks in advance.

JMF

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Maybe someone with an EX will swap out their head unit. You might be able to get a deal on it. The EX comes with a single CD.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
910 Posts
If u want I can sell you my EX Radio head unit. I bought my Odyssey 6 months ago and got a new Sony head unit 3 months ago. I saw that H and A Accessories sells it for $237.60. I will sell it at 75% off which is around $175. Send me an E-mail if you are interested.

·
Registered
148 Posts
$350.00 is a big budget.

Ask yourself this, do you want an aftermarket radio? Do you need the additional features such as detachable face security, cd changer control, preout to amplifiers (for future), some with AUX input for DVD or in car video, enhanced controls and a high resell value -- or

do you like the look and feel of a factory unit.

Personally, for a budget of $350.00 (which is quite huge), you can buy yourself many options.

You can get a radio such as the SONY CA650, bundle it with a SONY T67 6 disc mini changer and still way under budget. Looking for more performance? Here is a picture of a Panasonic 701 with aux input, less than $280.00 - Dash kit and harness will run you around $15.00 or you can get a double din into your factory location (such as the Pioneer FH 4400) and have cassette and cd in the front.

An aftermarket or factory changer may be an option, but if I were to spend what you want to spend and if you want to change the head unit, go aftermarket.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay, I hope I'm not pulling this off-topic. How difficult is it to install an aftermarket head unit, assuming you buy a wiring harness?

JMF, I would recommend an aftermarket CD player head unit for about $150-200. You should be able to get 20Wx4 in this price range. With the extra money, upgrade your front speakers to a nice component system (separate woofer/midrange and tweeter). This will sound MUCH better than the OEM CD player and stock speakers.

Alternatively, keep the stock speakers (for now, anyway), and purchase a CD player that can decode MP3's on CD-R and CD-RW discs. The Aiwa unit is about $300. If you don't have a CD burner for your PC, the extra $50 will get you more than halfway there. 10-12 CD's worth of music on a single disc: what more could you want for road trips?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts