Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. My 3 years old thought the CD player is a piggy bank and decided to deposit a dime into it. I could not locate the coin with a flashlight. We tried to play a CD and it seemed to work. Should we be concerned and try to take the coin out ? Could ee just leave it there ? Is it easy to take the CD player out ? We have a 2002 EX-L-NAVI.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ah, you lucked out! My son thought it was fun to insert a Ritz cracker in my computer's cd drive. The only advice I can offer is keep the crackers away from the 3 year old while in the car.

==========================================
02 RP EX-L

·
Super Moderator
13,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TurboRT:
Well. My 3 years old thought the CD player is a piggy bank and decided to deposit a dime into it. I could not locate the coin with a flashlight. We tried to play a CD and it seemed to work. Should we be concerned and try to take the coin out ? Could ee just leave it there ? Is it easy to take the CD player out ? We have a 2002 EX-L-NAVI. </font>
I would recommend that you DO NOT use the CD player. DO NOT even power it ON. I guess you got lucky that the Dime might not have landed on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) if it did that your CD Player would have been toast by now. If you still continue to use it, when you hit a bump or two the dime can short the contact on the PCB and then you are done.

I would assume it would be easy to take out the CD player but since I have a '01 and that too a LX (no navi I would not make that statement publicly) ask for help from others here, get the CD player out open the screws for the top or bottom cover (depending on where the coin is) and fish the coin out otherwise I recommend that you start looking for a new CD player.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This happened to me twice in the last two months! My Sony would not release a CD, so we felt it was time to buy another one. Found out from the Good Guys installer that the Sony had quite a few coins in it. Bought a new Kenwood CD, and guess what? My son put coins in it yesterday! He proudly told me about it, of course...(he's 2). Well, I called Good Guys and they said they'd send it out for two to three weeks to have the coins removed. Then they could repair any damage to the machine. Well, I did not want anything to do with that. I got out my accessories and found the removal tools, pulled out that stereo, disconnected it, and used a screwdriver to remove the top of it. I could see four coins in it. Two were loose in the centera area and two were sliding on the edges. I got my tweezers and played Operation for a few minutes. Three pennies and a dime later, I closed it up, hooked it back up, and it worked just fine! So then I got out the old Sony and did the same. Five coins in that one, and the one that caused it to not release the disc was a penny that wedged between the release gears. I was in the market for a new CD player for my husband's old truck, but didn't want to spend any money. Good Guys installers said they could put the Sony in it for 60 bucks, or I could try it myself. So I wrote on the Audio-Video forum and my friend Shindog has given me complete instructions for switching out the truck's old player. I will be doing that this weekend. I'll let you know if it works.

So what's the moral of my story? Well, either your player is shot or it's not. Open it up yourself and see if the coin is visible and take it out if you can. If it simply fell in, no damage done. And if it's somewhere you can't see, then close it up without doing anymore and decide whether you want to send it for service.

I bet it's just fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. I bited the bullet and took out the CD player last night. After uncovering the top plate, the Dime is right there. Put everything back on and tested the CD player, it works !!!. Thanks to everyone's help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts