Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, lets see if anyone might be able to help. The changer is skipping like crazy when the vehicle is first started up and a cd played. You can immediately take the exact disc out and play it in the RES without a single problem. You can take a disc out of the RES that has been playing fine and it throw it in the changer and it starts skipping like mad. Give it about two to three tracks and then it stops.

I changed the oil the other day and went ahead and threw a disc in the changer to try to diagnose while letting oil drain. It played the entire disc without a single problem. I hopped in the car and drove around after the oil change... no problems playing disc.

I tried a cd lens cleaner and ran it through all 6 slots 3 separate times back to back (18-20 cleaning cycles) and it has made no difference. Anyone experience any problem like this? We have an 06 EX-L with RES & NAV.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
rholmes69 said:
Okay, lets see if anyone might be able to help. The changer is skipping like crazy when the vehicle is first started up and a cd played. You can immediately take the exact disc out and play it in the RES without a single problem. You can take a disc out of the RES that has been playing fine and it throw it in the changer and it starts skipping like mad. Give it about two to three tracks and then it stops.

I changed the oil the other day and went ahead and threw a disc in the changer to try to diagnose while letting oil drain. It played the entire disc without a single problem. I hopped in the car and drove around after the oil change... no problems playing disc.

I tried a cd lens cleaner and ran it through all 6 slots 3 separate times back to back (18-20 cleaning cycles) and it has made no difference. Anyone experience any problem like this? We have an 06 EX-L with RES & NAV.

Thanks!
Some info from Honda that may help.

From Honda Service News:
A new CD could have rough inner or outer
edges. The small plastic pieces that cause this
roughness can break off and fall on the
recording surface of the disc. This can cause
skipping or other problems. To avoid this,
remove these pieces by rubbing the inner and
outer edges of the disc with the side of a
pencil or pen.

Honda Tech Line Summary Article ATS060411:
Sound Quality and Skip Test CDs
Applies To: All Models

Every dealer received three Compact Discs (CDs) to diagnose sound quality and CD skipping. Use these
CDs before ordering a remanufactured audio unit for sound quality or CD skipping complaints.
• The Audio diagnostic CD, P/N 07AAZ-SDBA100 has different sounds that can be used to diagnose
sound output and sound quality problems.
• The Skip Test CD, P/N 07AAZ-SDBA200 has fingerprints and other markings that can be used to
simulate dirty CDs. A good CD play/changer can play tracks 7-11 and 13-15 without skipping.
• The Skip Test CD, P/N 07AAZ-SDBA300 has scratches that can be used for CD skip testing. A good
CD player/changer can play tracks 2-9 without skipping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our Player does the same thing when it is cold. Once it warms up it seems to do alright. I was going to try and clean it, but it sounds like you have already done that. Go through about 3 songs and it is just fine. I will be interested to see what you find out. Wish I could help.

This doesnt seem to happen in the summer. Only the winter and the cold.

I have an 06 Touring model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Count me in! I drive an 05 Touring model.

My CD player does the exact same thing. I also noticed that it seems to skip when the weather is cold out and the van is not warmed up.

Glad I found this post. My husband thought I was crazy when I told him the above conditions were the only time I noticed the skipping.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the same symptoms in my 2006 w/ Nav and 6 disc changer. Skipping that seems worse towards the outside of the disk (later tracks). Discs play fine in other players.

Mine is not related to temperature but gets even worse with minor road bumps.

The Honda info about new CDs having parts break off that cause problems sounds suspect to me. CDs are an established technology and I have never heard of anything like that.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Between Sat. radio and ipods, we have never put a CD in the changer on our '10. I don't think it will ever be used. My boys do like to get access by having the nav screen "open", but that is about it. Sorry I can't be of help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have the same issue with our 2005 Odyssey EX-L with DVD player and Navigation Screen. The issue happens year round, not temperature related, and definitely happens more when driving and going over minor uneven surfaces in the road. We contemplated taking it into a car stereo shop to troubleshoot but figured we easly could spend $100 on trouble shooting costs. We just bought a bluetooth enabled FM transmitter on Amazon for under $20. Now we can rip our cds to the computer, put on the phone, connect phone to transmitter via bluetooth, and tune radio in to pick up the mp3s playing on the pone. This had the added benefit of being able to take incoming phone calls too on your car speakers hands free...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts