Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2002 Ody LX. I want to put an after market CD player in it.Any suggestions as to what kind and how much power it should have. Should I get new speakers as well? Any tips would be appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I'd recommend speakers even if you didn't switch out the head unit. That will give you the most dramatic difference in SQ. Seeing that you just want a decent CD player, and are probably price conscious, buy any reputable brand and look in the $100-$200 MAX range. If you order online, you can get a very decent deck for $150. Alpine, Sony, Panasonic, Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, they are all OK in this range. I like Alpine personally. Look for ergonomic design and features you want in this price range, as all will have 22W/channel power (like 40-45W max) kinda thing, plenty enough for most people.

Consider changing at least front speakers esp if you switch the deck. Many here like the Pioneer TS-A1695 for bang for the buck and SQ. ~$80 online.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My recommendation (definitely not shared by some more dedicated audiophiles on this forum) is to use a name brand (I've got a Pioneer 6-changer in my Blazer and a Sony 10-changer in my Ody) RF modulated changer. Installation is pretty simple and the only connection to your factory radio is through the antenna connection.

Admittedly, audio quality might bet (is?) better if you pump audio into your radio rather than modulated RF, which limits you to FM radio quality. I've never noticed the difference. (Yes, my ears are good enough to appreciate the difference between stock speakers and my Pioneer TSA-1665's and TSA-1086's in my 2001 EX.)

Assuming that you do the installation yourself, you can get by for less than $200.

I suggest that you install a couple of always hot power outlets under the driver's seat at the same time.

I just saw Shinjohn's post. I'm quite happy with my 1665's (3-way) and these are about $25 less expensive than the 1695's (2-way).

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 10-14-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would buy the Honda in dash 6CD changer from Dalts Honda. They are in Toronto and will sell you the changer for $234 cad. Check them out at daltshonda.com.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The Dalt's changer is quite a good deal. The other option is aftermarket changer with direct plug in to the factory head unit (factory unit has built in changer control).
There are companies that design units just for this purpose, and other companies that sell adaptors for other aftermarket brands.

Many online retailers also sell plug in kits which include the adaptor and a popular brand name aftermarket changer as a package.

Finally, Peripheral makes an interface that allows you to plug in a Clarion changer to the factory deck while giving you an aux direct RCA input...

Many options, just depends on what you value (factory look, SQ, power, convenience, etc..)...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts