Honda Odyssey Forum banner

CD Player.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  pvandegriff 
#1 ·
I have a '99 Ody EX. As you know, this model comes with the CD player. Just recently it has started skipping. Not like whe you go over bumps or something, just whenever. It sounds kind of like when you push the FF button, (not skip, but FF). I know it's not the CD, because it does it in different spots every time, and the CD works just fine in other players. The dealer said that if we can demonstrate the problem, they can replace it under warranty, (that aught to be fun!!). Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an alternative to replacement? Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
Yes, I have the EXACT same problem. My 01 EX is 2 weeks old. We noticed this problem a couple of days after we took delivery of
the van.

It seems to skip randomly as if I turned off the power or something or like hitting the mute button. Not caused by any bumps, or heavy vibrations.

I noticed that the CDs I have played so far are "burned" CDR's from CompUSA!

I should try playing original CDs and see if
the problem persists. If anyone have any more
info relating to this, kindly share!

#3 ·
We run bootleg CDs almost exlusively in the Ody and haven't had a problem. (knock on wood)

The brand of CD-Rs that we use is Memorex that are rated to 12X I believe. They are dirt cheap at Best Buy. I paid $39.99 for 100 80 minute CDs.

What program are you using to burn them? What burner do you have?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

#4 ·
Used a Yamaha 4X burner with adaptec software. Never had any problems whatsoever in playing the CDs over and over again in my 2 CD players. In fact, one of the players is about 10 years old or so.

To me it appears to be the unit. Would appreciate other EX owners try different kinds (original and burned) and brands of CDs and CDRs in their CD player units and share their results.

#5 ·
The CD-Rs I use are so cheap they were free and there's no label on them and they work fine. I'd bet your unit is bad.

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pics and Projects

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
We run bootleg CDs almost exlusively in the Ody and haven't had a problem. (knock on wood)

The brand of CD-Rs that we use is Memorex that are rated to 12X I believe. They are dirt cheap at Best Buy. I paid $39.99 for 100 80 minute CDs.

What program are you using to burn them? What burner do you have?

</font>
We don't use CD-R's in it at all. This is with just regular CD's. I think we will just have the unit replaced at the dealership while it is still under warranty.
Thanks for the help!!

#8 ·
Clean the CD Laser Lens

The skipping is caused by a DIRTY CD laser lens.

You just need to clean it. To clean it go to Wal Mart or anywhere and get a laser lens cleaning kit. It is essentially a CD with microfine brushes on it.

This WILL fix your problem and improve your sound quality as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.