Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, but has anyone had any problems playing CD-RW media in the factory CD players? I'm looking to get an '02 with RES, and have a fairly large collection of music that I've burned to CD (standard audio CDs, not MP3s) and was hoping that the factory CD unit handled those with no problems. Most do, but I've found some CD players that were picky about certain CD-RW media. TIA...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I haven't used CD-RW media for audio CDs, but I have burned quite a few CD-Rs with no problems in either the Honda in-dash player in my '01, or with CD changers (a Pioneer and a Sony).

Quite frankly, I don't see any real advantage to CD-RW for most audio use for the following reasons:
  1. They cost more. CD-Rs are more readily available for very low prices and frequently have rebates that make them almost free.
  2. They burn slower. Most current vintage burners handle CD-R about twice as fast as CD-RW.
  3. They cause more problems with non-computer readers.
    [/list=a]

Answering your question for CD-Rs: I haven't noticed any difference between brands.

Mel

·
Registered
14 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Junior Samples:
Just curious, but has anyone had any problems playing CD-RW media in the factory CD players?</font>
I tried a CDA-format CDRW disc and it didn't work on my EX. The disc was a CompUSA CDRW burned using Adaptec disc-to-disc copy software. It could be read by a portable MP3 player, however.

From my experience most non-computer players such as portable CD, VCD, DVD player, etc can't read CDRW. Most MP3 players can read ISO9660/1/2 CDRW, some can even read UDF.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
I haven't used CD-RW media for audio CDs, but I have burned quite a few CD-Rs with no problems in either the Honda in-dash player in my '01, or with CD changers (a Pioneer and a Sony).
</font>

Actually, I was incorrect in my terminology -- I did mean CD-R. I guess I tend to use the terms interchangeably, although there are important differences as you've mentioned. Anyway, I've found that some disks (CD-R) don't work in every player, maybe due to the color of the disk vs. the type of laser used in the player to read the disk.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I've found some media to be picky. It also depends on the type/speed burner you have. I have a 24X burner, so I have to be carefull to use media compatible with it. Also, I've found gold backed, blue substrate media tend to work best on my home and (aftermarket) players. I've used all kinds of media in the factory EX (non RES) deck with good success...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
14 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Junior Samples:
Actually, I was incorrect in my terminology -- I did mean CD-R. I guess I tend to use the terms interchangeably, although there are important differences as you've mentioned. Anyway, I've found that some disks (CD-R) don't work in every player, maybe due to the color of the disk vs. the type of laser used in the player to read the disk.</font>
It's a known fact some lasers can't pick up data on certain discs due to particular dye used. The quality of a disc may also be a factor. I found this site quite informative on CDR/CDRW: http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml

I have come across the most puzzling case just yesterday: A friend asked me to find out why a CDR disc copied using a consumer Philips CD-to-CD copier couldn't be played on his 2002EX or computer, but did play fine only on his old BMW 7 series. I tried it on a few computers and portable MP3 and CD players with no luck. However, the new JVC KD-SH99 mp3 player I just got was able to read it, but it took about 45 seconds for it to recognize the CDR as a CD! By comparison, my other CDA CDRs got recognized instantly.

This was the first time that I heard a consumer CD player could read a CDR but a computer couldn't. I suspect it might be a session thing, i.e. the session was not closed, or more than one session was burned on the CDR but the last session was not closed. Some players such as the KD-SH99 (as documented in the manual) could/would only read the first session.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the 2002 RES system compatible with VCD and SVCD formats? This would certainly be nice for dubbing over some of the VHS movies, rather than buying them again for DVD.

-Kurt

·
Registered
38 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kurthack:
Is the 2002 RES system compatible with VCD and SVCD formats? This would certainly be nice for dubbing over some of the VHS movies, rather than buying them again for DVD.

-Kurt
</font>
I bought a Terapin Video Recorder at Sam's Club this week for $199. It records VCD's on CD-R media from video sources (VCR's, Video cameras etc.) and works quite well. The VCD's play back great on my home Pioneer DVD
player but not at all on my Honda's RES DVD. I tried four different kinds of CD-R media, no luck.

I suspect that the reason is the home DVD players (Pioneer etc.) have two lasers, one to read DVD's and one to read CD's so they can play audio CD's. Therefore they can playback VCD's also with the second laser.

Alas, the HONDA RES DVD (lower) unit apparently has only one laser for DVD's. The CD player in the RES (upper unit)has the second laser making two lasers in the DVD unnecessary. That is probably why I can't play VCD's.

An expensive, solution would be to buy a portable DVD player, $500 plus, and use it to play VCD's via the video input by the back seats. Query - Would a Playstation II
play VCD's?

Hope this helps.

EZStreit

------------------
02 EXL RES Cargo Mat splash guards

[This message has been edited by EZStreit (edited 02-08-2002).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Alas, the HONDA RES DVD (lower) unit apparently has only one laser for DVD's. The CD player in the RES (upper unit)has the second laser making two lasers in the DVD unnecessary. That is probably why I can't play VCD's.</font>
Why do you say that the Honda RES DVD apparently has only one laser for DVDs?

The Honda RES DVD plays CDs also. See your owner's manual.

·
Registered
38 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Why do you say that the Honda RES DVD apparently has only one laser for DVDs?

The Honda RES DVD plays CDs also. See your owner's manual.
</font>
Reply - Your right, the DVD unit plays store bought audio CD's. It doesn't play my home brewed audio CD's made on my computer which do play on the Honda's CD player. Obviously more reseach is in order. It sure would be nice to be able to play video CD's - at least until home DVD recorders and media come down to reasonable prices.

------------------
02 EXL RES Cargo Mat splash guards

·
Registered
63 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EZStreit:
An expensive, solution would be to buy a portable DVD player, $500 plus, and use it to play VCD's via the video input by the back seats. Query - Would a Playstation II
play VCD's?

Hope this helps.

EZStreit

</font>
Alas, just like the RES DVD player the PS2 can only recognize. CDs and DVDs. As for aftermarket DVD players most of them can read CD/CD-R/CD-RW/VCD/DVD discs.

As for the subject of this post, when I still had the factory cd player I didn't have any problems playing CD-Rs but did find some trouble playing with some CD-RW but not really consistent on a particular brand of CD-RW. But as Mel had said I guess CD-Rs today seems to be like being given away for free (either by mail-in rebates or store coupons)you just have to pay for the sales tax, a better alternative for burning CDs

------------------
'02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl
Alpine Multi Media setup
MB Quart speakers
PS2

[This message has been edited by PlayItLoud (edited 02-17-2002).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Finally - Following a hint in another thread on this board I made a VCD with the Terrapin using a Sony CD-RW which worked in the RES DVD.
:) :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
EZStreit

Is the video recorder you got from Sam's easy to use? will it record VCR tapes? WHat is the hook up, RCA plugs or thru the cable line. WHat is the difference between this machine and the CD burners that are on computers? I am totally clued out on this subject but am very interested in getting a means to record VCDs for the Ody RES system. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks Ken

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ken

The other day they had a few Terapins left at my local Sam's Club. See my previous posts on this thread.

It will record from homemade video cassettes onto VCD's using RCA plugs to hookup between the cassette player and the Terapin. You could also use as a source other analog or (digital) devices such as a camcorder to create VCD's.

I think it is somewhat harder to use than a VCR but the instruction manual that comes with the Terapin recorder is good and takes you thru the process step by step. But expect to spend some time learning the process (a couple of hours), depending on your ability with electronics.

I have never tried to use my computer CD burner to make video CD's (is this possible?) but I think it is easier to burn audio CD's with the Terapin than with the computer.

You can find much more info at:
http://www.terapintech.com/fea_cdaudio.html

·
Registered
317 Posts
EZStreit, thanks for the info and the website address. I check my local Sam's club and they didn't have any. I will phone around to the others in the area. it sounds like a great system to transfer alot of my VHS tapes to VCDs for the RES. I hope i can find one out here. Do you know what the location of the sam's club in your area is? i can see if they can transfer one from there to here or if i can buy it from their store there and have them send it out here. thanks Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts