Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone leave their cell phone charger plugged into their incredibly oddly-placed outlet? It's such a bother taking it out and plugging it back in each time I need to charge. If I keep it in, will it drain the battery, even when the car is off?

I say this because I left the charger in the outlet for a few days and just tried to charge the phone. No charging happened, even though the connection was good. My car battery seems strong, no light dimming at all, stereo ok. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moonatics:
Does anyone leave their cell phone charger plugged into their incredibly oddly-placed outlet?
</font>
I use hands free set, which is all the time plugged there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
If I keep it in, will it drain the battery, even when the car is off?
</font>
When the car is off, the outlet is not powered on my EX 2001, therefore no battery drain can happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you looked into getting a center console that has its own power plug, such as the one made by TSI (I got mine from HeartlandAmerica.com)? It plugs into Ody's floor-level outlet inconspicuously, providing an outlet inside its rather roomy compartment (one of the biggest in the market), where you can keep your cellphone charging while driving and it stays safely out of sight, and two other plugs below the cup holders towards the back for other devices. The power also provides light to the inner compartment--handy when it's dark out. And, this console fits just right in that space with the factory tray folded down.

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by forgaming:
Have you looked into getting a center console that has its own power plug, such as the one made by TSI (I got mine from HeartlandAmerica.com)? It plugs into Ody's floor-level outlet inconspicuously, providing an outlet inside its rather roomy compartment (one of the biggest in the market), where you can keep your cellphone charging while driving and it stays safely out of sight, and two other plugs below the cup holders towards the back for other devices. The power also provides light to the inner compartment--handy when it's dark out. And, this console fits just right in that space with the factory tray folded down.

</font>
That was my solution and it works great. I got mine from Kmart for $49.

------------------
2002 Ody SS EX, Splash Guards, WeatherTech mats, Cargo Tray, Plug-n-Go Console, VentShades on order.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Another option is to install auxiliary outlets - you can get these at many different stores (K-Mart; Wal-Mart; Pep Boys; etc.). If you've got the EX version, this is a very easy mod - look underneath the driver's seat and you'll see the black wire loom for the driver's power seat controls. Cut the black tape off the loom to gain access to the wires inside; then (using a T-tap) tap into the solid red wire with silver bands around it for the power source. Ground the outlets to one of the bolts holding the seat to the floorpan. Mount your outlets anywhere under there. This gives you a constant hot source for keeping your cell phone charged all the time, and keeps all the wires out of the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had my cell phone plugged in (continuously) for more than 6 months now. (Only use the phone in the car). Both the 2000 Odyssey and phone are working fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Moonactics, the outlet only has power while the ignition is on (just like the radio) and this is why your phone didn't get charged. I have the same issue in both my Oddy and my Acura. I believe there was a mod mentioned to covert the outlet to a "power on always" one somewhere on this site.

------------------
2000 DEB EX
2002 Acura TL type S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts