Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for something to utilize the space between the front seats. With the stock tray, the space underneath is a waste. I want to take advantage of this space by putting some kind of console there so that I can have more spaces for CD's and stuffs for the kids etc. I am also thinking about getting one of those mobile video console to put in that space. Anyone has any suggestions? (both the console for storage & the mobile video). Also, I want this console to be mountable so that it doesn't slide. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
'01 Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Yep, this is what I have in my Granite Green with Fern interior. It matches.

Less than $50 delivered to your door too!

I have some installation pics of it that I'll post soon. I need to take a few more and I'll be done. The Ody has a hump underneath the center of the console. You'll have to add some wooden shims (1"x2" furring strips) on each end. No big deal at all. I'll jump on the proceedures this weekend and post them.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
71 Posts
Regarding your Mobile Video question, there are a couple of possibilities. Some members have purchased 9" tube-based combo TV/VCR units and rigged up anchors and tiedowns to (hopefully) keep things stationary in an accident. Unless part of a permanent, mounted installation, I would be somewhat wary of this approach... the one time you don't get it tied down tight enough would be the time you'd get hit by the drunk driver. Some have posted that the tube-based TV would very likely explode in an accident even if the TV itself didn't move around much, with glass shards being a dangerous hazard.

After considering the possibility, I went with a unit designed for travel in vehicles (but not a permanently installed overhead or console unit). It's a bag unit with a 5.6" LCD monitor, VCP, 2 headphones, and all necessary cables for both vehicle and home/motel use. This unit was a good solution for me because my daughters have a lot of videos but no DVDs, and price was a consideration for us. We got a refurbished unit for about $350 (but as far as I can tell, the unit has not been used). The unit is suspended from the seats and seat rails so that the monitor is about eye level -- another consideration against going with the 9" tube-based monitors that would sit on the floor (motion-sickness issues from looking down). This is the URL if you are interested...

http://www.videotraveler.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Click on the "bargains" button to see the pricing on the refurbished/closeout models. They are no longer carrying the 5.6" monitor version, only the tv/monitor version new, but they may still have some refurbished 5.6" monitors in stock. I don't think there's much advantage to the TV tuner function, from what I've heard people rarely get any kind of decent reception (unless they spend big bucks for high quality diversity antennas), so about the only advantage is the additional A/V input and the FM modulator. But do you really want Barney playing over your stereo?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I'm almost positive that's where Caviller picked up his video-in-a-bag setup. There's a thread about it, but I don't have time to find it. I'll add it later.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jim (or anyone else),

The Heartland Plug &Go Console above looks good, but how do the cupholders work?

Thanks,

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think it is where Caviller picked it up, because that's where I found the original reference to videotraveler. I don't know if he followed up with how well it was/was not working for him. I just got mine so I won't know for a few days until I can pry the van back out of my wife's hands!

:)

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gbaxley:
The Heartland Plug &Go Console above looks good, but how do the cupholders work?</font>
Much better than the flip-up tray.

I hate that thing.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
Remember the 'traveltheater' is removeable and comes w/ a little 'base' you can put it in to sit on your rear tailgate & play mortal combat or watch 'Princess Mononoke'.

If you go for the $599 unit at autotoys you get 2 infrared headphones, the 2 speaker 6.8 lcd flip-down remoevable screen and the 2.4 gHz transmitter. Hook up a PS2 and you've got a completely portable solution that need not always live in your Ody and installs in minutes for around $900 that will allow you to watch DVDs and play games.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've also got the heartland plug&go installed. Click the link in my signature to see photos.

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perlguy9, how did you mount the console to the floor of your oddy? Someone mentioned that you have to use wooden shims, because there is a hump in the middle. Did you have to do this and how did you bolt the console securely so that it doesn't slide (in any events such as quick stops or accidents)? Thanks.

------------------
'01 Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Perlguy9, how did you mount the console to the floor of your oddy? Someone mentioned that you have to use wooden shims, because there is a hump in the middle. Did you have to do this and how did you bolt the console securely so that it doesn't slide (in any events such as quick stops or accidents)? Thanks.
</font>
Right now it's just sitting there. I put some .5" foam tape (weatherstripping) on the sides where it rubs against the driver's seat and the folding tray.

I have the shims and stuff, but I haven't done anything with them yet. I don't think it's going to be necessary to physically attach it to the floor, but we'll see.

------------------
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Perlguy: your pictures are outstanding - I think I lost/missed the post about the Pioneer speakers - the install looks fantastic - so how does it sound? I was surprised that my week-old 01 SS ex sounds as decent as it does but better speakers seem a good investment for us "NOS" boys and girls.. Also, what do you do about the back of the speaker and the rear water barrier cut? won't window water drip right into the back of the speakers up front?

Thanks -

·
Registered
48 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Perlguy: your pictures are outstanding - I think I lost/missed the post about the Pioneer speakers - the install looks fantastic - so how does it sound? I was surprised that my week-old 01 SS ex sounds as decent as it does but better speakers seem a good investment for us "NOS" boys and girls.. Also, what do you do about the back of the speaker and the rear water barrier cut? won't window water drip right into the back of the speakers up front?
</font>
Thanks for the compliment on the pics

I just did them today. Posted to the Audio / Security forum. They sound great!

I didn't have to cut any of the rain barrier, just a few little tabs that stuck out.

------------------
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone tried the console in the 2nd row position? My son can't reach the cupholders on the front tray even with it extended. I'm ready to buy but want to make sure this will work before doing so.
Thanks!
Thea

01 SS EX
Cargo Mat
Cargo Tray
Splash Guards
Carpet Floor runner

[This message has been edited by LovenLifeInMyOdy (edited 06-28-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts