Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered this from www.heartlandamerica.com See it at http://www.heartlandamerica.com/HTMLA/ProductTemplates/product.asp?sub=1225&cat=1210&SKU=5872

They said I'd get it on or before April 7th. I went with the Grey, looks like it should work with the Quartz interior. They also have a tan one which might be close to the beige interiors. Anyway, for the price... I thought I'd give it a try. Looks like, from the picture, that it may plug easily into the power point down by the floor, and then you'd have 2 power points up where they are more easily reached, plus another one inside of the storage compartment. Wife is bugged that the glove compartment doesn't have a light in the Ody, and this Console is suppossed to have a light in the storage compartment... which she should like. Also the cup holders look deeper in the picture than what is in our center tray.

LOL, After orderig it, I noticed that the floor between the two front seats is not level! So may have to do a make-shift level job with extra carpeting or something.

The catalog says they have limited quantities on these, so I'd thought I'd share in case someone else wanted to take a gamble on one too. The price of $39.99 plus $1.99 order processing plus $6.50 shipping = $48.48 ...which seems pretty good ...if it works out as good as I hope it does. I guess I'll find out pretty soon, LOL.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Someone else around here has that same console. Caviller maybe? It looks interesting.

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pictures and Projects

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
You know, it's sad when a grown man gets excited by cupholders. lol I checked the pics out and my eye was quickly caught by those four on that console. Give us a full report ASAP. I'm in the market.

I found a temporary fix for the flip up console. I'll write about it in the "cupholder" topic I started a while back. I'll take some pics too.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey, I bought the EXACT same console at KMart for $50. It fits perfectly between the front seats with the OEM tray flipped down. I too noticed that the floor is not level and solved the problem easily. Just cut some 1x4 lumber to fit underneath the front and rear of the console to keep it level. The console has predrilled holes for the mounting screws - just mount the lumber with the provided screws through these holes. The screws will go through the lumber about a 1/4", but it will bite into the carpet and keep if from sliding back and forth. Since the unit is plastic, I put some sticky-back foam between the console and the front seats to eliminate squeaks. Works like a champ!

------------------
Regards,
Carl
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Hi Carl,

It's nice to see another Texan here.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Likewise, Jim. I see a TON of Odyssey's in Austin. I love my Odyssey. Sometimes there are three or four in a row around town.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to mount my gun rack, brush guard, and winch from my pickemup truck I'd be a happy cowpoke! Contrary to popular belief, there are some civilized Texans for those who have never been. Unfortunately, I don't know any! Nowadays, I think there are more engineers than wranglers in Texas. Wouldn't live anywhere else - except for San Diego.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
Someone else around here has that same console. Caviller maybe? It looks interesting.

</font>
Not me:) Still using the factory flip-down console. It's usually flipped down, since we often use the aisle to access the kids. For that reason, I doubt I'll add a console for a few years... On the other hand, it might provide enough of an impediment to keep my toddler from going up front and pusing all the buttons and honking the horn while I'm attending to our infant...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carl,

Thanks for the install tips!

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
You know, it's sad when a grown man gets excited by cupholders. lol I checked the pics out and my eye was quickly caught by those four on that console. Give us a full report ASAP. I'm in the market.

I found a temporary fix for the flip up console. I'll write about it in the "cupholder" topic I started a while back. I'll take some pics too.
</font>
Did you ever post your temporary fix? I haven't come accross it.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by carln:
I see a TON of Odyssey's in Austin. I love my Odyssey. Sometimes there are three or four in a row around town.</font>
Some of those people might be members here. We have a few Austinites that have joined.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Now, if I can just figure out a way to mount my gun rack, brush guard, and winch from my pickemup truck I'd be a happy cowpoke!
</font>
I'm going the Deep South route ... I'm painting the Ody orange with a rebel flag on the roof and a big white "1" on the door.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Guy:
Did you ever post your temporary fix? I haven't come accross it.</font>
I haven't taken pics of it yet. It's an insert that clamps into the drinkholder and has an adjustable drinkholder on top. I think it's called the Spillmaster. It's grey and matches fairly well in the Fern interior. It holds everything from 20 oz. bottles to big 32 oz. Gatorade bottles.

Cost was $5.95 from Pepboys. I bought one to test it, now I'll have to go back and grab another one.

The Spillmaster fits well into the indash cupholder too.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
70 Posts
Skybolt:

Post some pictures when you get it installed. Very interesting.

I discovered just how useless the flip up is on our first road trip.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Center Console Update...

I got it in the mail early this past week. As noted by Carl, it fits snuggly with the center tray down... so we drove around for a few days, one day about 140 miles, with it just in place but not hooked up or anything... to see how we'd like it or if the lid would rattle, etc.

We decided we liked it, it's quiet and functional, matches pretty good, plus my wife's little square box of tissues fits with plenty of room left over. She used to keep that on the floor, which I didn't care for it moving around up front under foot.

I used Carl's tip about the 1 x 4, but did it a bit different. I put the front on a 1 x 4, drew the pattern with pencil, cut it as close as possible with a hand saw and then finished with a wood chisel and sand paper to get it the right shape (sorta like a capital "D"). That seemed to level it out pretty good, without a piece for the back. I didn't want to bite into the carpet, because you'll have to move it to get into the "spare tire compartment", where I keep the male part of the receiver hitch, jumper cables, etc. ...and although I won't get in there very often, I didn't want to keep biting into the carpet. So I got two shorter screws (#6 - 3/4") than what came with it.

I didn't have any grey paint, so I neatly put a strip of grey Duck Tape around the left & front & right sides of the 1 X 4, and trimmed it... sounds hokey, but it blends in great color wise. I then turned the 1 X 4 over to my wife, who cut a piece of that kinda rubbery stuff for the bottom of it. Sorry for the "kinda rubbery stuff" discription, but neither one of us can remember what it's called!! RVers like to use it instead of shelf paper in motor homes, as nothing slips on it... it's got fine holes and texture to it, maybe someone who knows what I'm talking about can post what it is called.

Anyway, She glued a piece of that "rubbery stuff" LOL, to the bottom of the 1 X 4 with "Tacky Glue" and let sit overnight. I determined how much of the cord that plugs into the front power point I needed and put the cord into the notch holders on the bottom of the console accordingly. I then screwed the 1 X 4 to the bottom of the front.

I have the bottom-front of the console placed right next to the backedge of the front floor mat. I ran the cord under that floor mat and out right at the power point, with just enough cord extra under the mat to make plugging & unplugging easy. The "rubbery stuff" on the 1 X 4 is against the carpet, the console fits snug between the seats, and I "bungie" strapped it to the center tray which you can't see unless you know to go looking for it. I was thinking of using a rubber strap, but the hooks looked too big and I already had the "bungies"... I may switch to rubber strap later. Anyway, that puppy ain't going anywhere, and yet I can easily remove it to get to the spare tire compartment or if I need to haul something long up between the seats.

The console has a surprising amount of storage, a hidden tray at both ends plus a hidden tray inside the storage compartment. It's lighted (when the ignition key is on), has the 2 power points you see in the pictures plus one inside the compartment. It looks like it could pass for OEM for those who didn't know better. We still can use the dash cup holders, plus the center storage above the plug in. It also came with a Travel Mug Adaptor, which I wasn't expecting. It's a huge cup holder whose bottom plugs snuggly into any of the console's cup holders. For you Texan's, the Travel Mug Adaptor is made by Saddlebags in Arlington, Texas.... you Texan's must have some mighty big coffee cups <grin>.

I'm not able to post pictures, but it looks like the ones that Jim and nemogira posted and linked to.

All in all, we like it, we like the way the grey one matches our Quartz-grey interior, I like the more accessible power points, the lighted storage, love finally getting that dreaded tissue box off the floor, LOL ...and we find it far more useful than the flip-up tray.

Plus, I get to add "Center Console" to my list of options in my signature box!! LOL, seriously, my wife and I both give it "thumbs up"...I think those who don't need to get back to a young one while underway via the narrow passage would be well pleased filling it with this Center Console.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I can't remember the name of that "rubbery stuff" either.

I wonder how that console would look in the Fern interior. I may end up ordering one. I like those cup holders.

Oh ... my coffee mug is a 32 oz. cup from Quik Trip.
QT rules and we don't have one in the state of TX.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:

I wonder how that console would look in the Fern interior. I may end up ordering one. I like those cup holders.

</font>
I think it would go good with the Fern interior. I had imagined it was a little lighter from the pictures, but they probably had it lit up for the pictures. The grey should work, plus the dark parts (cup holders & lid) will go with your steering wheel cover (I think I'll get one of those) and the the dark bits on your dash (radio, etc.).

The way it's set up, with the plug aimed right at the Ody's power point on the floor, etc. ...I wonder if it was designed with the Ody in mind. It says "Minivan Console" on the box, and the unit itself is made by Texas Saddlebags, (to clarify that not just the Travel Mug Adapter was).

It looks like there are a couple of caps towards the bottom of the folding tray, that probably are covering a couple of screws/bolts that have it attached. I'm guessing you could move it somehow to the second row.

Our kids are grown, and we really weren't interested in a mini people mover or mini bus. In fact, I took the middle seats out the fist week we had it. If there was no Odyssey, we wouldn't have gotten a mini-van, I think the Odyssey is the only one that make me feel like it's a real mini _Van_. The magic seat can seat 3 in the back more comfortably than in the back of our Accord sedan, with great leg room minus the middle row. Plus, I like being able to recline the front seats all the way with the middle ones out. Too bad the magic seat couldn't flip-flop some way to look out the back, turn your hitch into a fishing pole holder, LOL. I wonder when someone will come out with customized jobs for the inside like for full size vans. ....LOL, I'm off on a tangent again.

Although I'll probably be keeping the middle row out, let us know if you move your folding tray back to the middle and your approach of installing the console too.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights
Center Console

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
"Too bad the magic seat couldn't flip-flop some way to look out the back, turn your hitch into a fishing pole holder....."

The magic seat DOES flip over so you can sit on it facing the rear while parked, just remove the head rests, but sorry, you'll still have to come up with the fishing pole holder yourself!

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pics and Projects

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
"Too bad the magic seat couldn't flip-flop some way to look out the back, turn your hitch into a fishing pole holder....."

I see a group deal forming ...

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
58 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jim F:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim,
I have the Fern interior. Looks great!

Carl

1 - 20 of 28 Posts