Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that I'm not the only one driven nuts when I hit a sharp bump and the center tray flops up and down. This obnoxious racket is kinda unbecoming in an otherwise very nice vehicle.

If you live where the roads are in good shape, you may not have the problem, but here in good old Michigan, I get reminded of the problem every few minutes.

I've tried a couple of things short of either propping it up at the end of it's travel or hooking a bungee cord between it and the seat to load it downward. So far, no help.

I've also thought about removing it completely and replacing it with some kind of console, but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

Has anyone made any progress toward fixing this? I'd sure appreciate any ideas.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It rests on it's latch, but the latch doesn't hold it down. It has what I'd call a table leaf support. Lift up on it and you'll see the potential for motion on a sharp bump. The bump pops it into the air and then it bangs when it comes back down.

------------------
Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
It drives me nuts when I have a large drink in the driver's cupholder and the tray starts to rattle and bounce.

That's why I bought the TSI console.
It should be here this week. Woohoo!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
1,484 Posts
I too went for an aftermarket center console. Absolutely no regrets! I mean it holds all kinds of cups much better than the tray. And plus it's a nice place to store little things like coins, tissue, etc. But knowing you Chuck you'd probably build your own center console before actually buying one.

Good Luck,
-nemogira

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hee, hee. It's crossed my mind, but I couldn't come up with anything.

I wouldn't mind the center tray if it worked nice and smooth. I like the fact that it folds down, but the rattles are inexcusable in such a nice van. I really don't know what Honda was thinking.

Are there any pictures posted anywhere of your console, nemogira?

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
Are there any pictures posted anywhere of your console, nemogira?

</font>
Here ya go Chuck. It used to be in my old Toyota Previa. I liked it so much I transferred it to the Ody. I was even able to put a 10 disc CD changer in the main compartment. Also, much like most consoles you don't have to remove the existing tray. It fits kind of snug.

-nemogira

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to let you know that I conquered my dreaded center tray noise. It consisted of the rather inelegant application of a tennis ball wedged into the hinge under the tray.
I know; go ahead and laugh, but it works.

At least now I always have a toy in the car if we're away from home and the dog wants to play "fetch"!

------------------
Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I got my TSI console installed 15 minutes before we left to visit my Mom over the weekend.

I LOVE it! The cupholders are nice. They actually hold cups! Go figure. That damn flip up tray should be called a "flip out" tray. My drinks flipped out onto the floor more than they stayed in the tray.

I took a few pics of the console and will add a page under the Tech section this week.

The grey goes well with the Fern interior.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
Did I miss something, Jim? What is the "TSI Console"? Is there a webpage w/ a pic? Maybe at autotoys.com?

Maybe I should go dig around before asking dumb questions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts