Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a center console from Heartland and I would like to remove the tray that came with my Odyssey. Has anyone done this? Is it difficult?

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dmicpa:
I just bought a center console from Heartland and I would like to remove the tray that came with my Odyssey. Has anyone done this? Is it difficult?</font>
I took my center tray out for exactly the same reason. It was not difficult. Flip up the tray, pop out the 3 or 4 pullout anchors with pry tools (I used a mini pry bar and a screw driver). Pull away the plastic shell, then remove the 3 nuts w/ a 12 mm socket. The tray is now removable, and you will have 3 threaded plastic bolts protruding out of the passenger seat. They don't get in the way of the heartland console, and may prove usefull in securing it to the van (next project).

Has anyone else come up with a clever way to secure the console, keeping in mind it has to be easily removed to get at the spare?

BTW, I saw a new Kia minivan yesterday. It looked nice, but smallish. Very comfy leather seats, 3.5 L 185 HP engine, but only 15-20 mpg. Kia nearly duplicated the Ody center tray for their van, which boggles my mind. Why not copy something with functional cup holders?

cheers,

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I took my center tray out for exactly the same reason. It was not difficult. Flip up the tray, pop out the 3 or 4 pullout anchors with pry tools (I used a mini pry bar and a screw driver). Pull away the plastic shell, then remove the 3 nuts w/ a 12 mm socket. The tray is now removable, and you will have 3 threaded plastic bolts.....

It's not necessary to go to the trouble of prying the plastic bolt covers. Just grasp the whole trim piece and pull. The covers will just pop out and you'll have access to the nuts that hold the tray in place. There are pics in my album under "Folding Tray Noises Revisited".

Have fun and let us know how you decide to anchor the console.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just removed the center tray and that went fine. The Heartland console fits well but is there any reasonable way to anchor it? I am now using a couple of bungi cords but it looks tacky. There must be a way using the three studs to fasten the console so that it can be easily moved to get to the spare tire. I could forsee a thin plate that fits the three holes and something on the plate to attach to the console with a large wing nut inside the console to quickly undo it but this is starting to sound like a government project. Any ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by dmicpa:
snip...The Heartland console fits well but is there any reasonable way to anchor it? ...snip

I had the same challenge when I installed my aftermarket center console. It's narrow enough that I was able to leave the factory tray table in place. Then, I fastened some 1x4's under the console to overcome the inbalance due to the hump in the floor. The screws I used to secure the 1x4's to the console protrude about a 1/4 inch from the wood into the carpet. This allows the console to get a good bite and it has not moved since day one. You can still easily remove it for spare tire access. However, if the van flips the console will go flying. If that's a concern, then perhaps you could drill a hole through the floor, insert a bolt from underneath the van, and then use a wing nut inside the console to hold it in place. Seal up the gaps around the hole so it's water tight and you're done. It's a bit more work, but secure. The other option is to secure it to the seat frames somehow. A trip to Home Depot's fastener isle should give you some ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts