Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a certified 2008 Odyssey last week and today I noticed that there is a rust spot next to the rear passenger window. Isn't that something that should have been repaired before it was determined to be "certified"? Would this be covered under Honda's rust warranty?

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
There does not appear to be any requirements with regards to rust in the Honda certified 150 point inspection list.

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/certification-standards.aspx

With regards to Honda's rust warranty (Rust Perforation Limited Warranty/Corrosion Limited Warranty):
All exterior body panels are covered for rust-through from the
inside for the specified time period with no mileage limit.

The specified time period is 5 years, I believe.

Refer to the warranty info that came with your Ody for full details.

·
Registered
192 Posts
AutoCheck?

Any vehicle in an accident is not covered by the rust protection.

Did you run an AutoCheck report on the vehicle? www.autocheck.com Sounds like you might have bought a vehicle that was in an accident and not fixed correctly.

A 2008 vehicle should not have rust on it unless something was terribly wrong with it (accident, major scratch, bad production, etc.).

Anyone buying a vehicle with more than a few miles on it should run a vehicle history report on the vehicle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car fax that I was shown at the dealership showed no accidents reported. This rust is on the rear side of the back passenger side window. It is between the rear window and the hatch. It is a little smaller than the circumfrence of a dime. I have no idea how I missed it.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
That's an unusual location for a rust problem. If not caused by an accident, the paint was likely traumatized in some other way. Have you shown it to the dealer? They might fix it as goodwill. If not, take it to a shop that specializes in minor body damage. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I had a spot like that around the rim of my rear side window. It must have been a rock chip that cracked the paint. Mine had some rust on it when I discovered it but I sanded it down and hit it with touch-up paint. Paint on these vans is pretty week IMHO.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Does the damaged area touch (extend to) the window trim? A picture would help.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There are sections in the 150 point inspection list that should cover rear fender finish trim and rear quarter trim condition, windows, glass chips scratches condition. I guess a dealer could interpret rusty condition as approved if they inspected at all.

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/certification-standards.aspx

Rust warranty usually means rust through. Not rust is present. Just another way to fool the buyer.
Would think rust should have been covered. But certified often means a paper was filled out and the price increased whatever the condition of the car. Shameful. More dealer profit.

Take it back, complain. Maybe they will fix it. Or if not, make the dealer squirm about how rust can be approved in a certified vehicle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Take it back, they should fix it.
My white Odyssey's paint is really not that good. It was flaking off on the driver's lower rear quarter panel earlier this year and they fix it under warranty. Now, there is rust forming where the drivers door seal meets with the body, plus I see rust coming out from under the drivers door step panel.

I live in Montreal, but a 2 year old car should not have any rust on it.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
davedrivesody said:
the paint was likely traumatized in some other way.

It is possible it caught a glimpse of a 2011:D

Oh....and u can wipe your anus with a carfax report...extremely incomplete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts