26 Posts
Presume the worst & you’re less likely to be disappointed. :unsure:

Mine looked like that.
  1. Changed fluid & filter, then
  2. Drove a week (~100 miles)
  3. Changed fluid
  4. Drove a week
  5. Changed fluid
Since you don’t get all the fluid by a simple drain & fill, this leaves you with a very small amount of the old fluid.

The aim here is to get fluid of known good rheology & to remove as much micro-detritus as practically possible. If you do all three changes yourself it’s maybe $100.

This the extent of a DIYer’s ability to improve the transmission internals. You could also replace pressure sensors, but there’s no need absent symptoms of poor shift points.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Definitely do the 3x D&F. Make sure you can get the fill plug off at the top of the transmission before you drain. You may need to use a breaker bar. (Much easier to fill this way rather than the dipstick tube, which can be messy. You'll need new crush washers for the drain plug. I also always use new washers on the fill plug, but this may not be necessary.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 2005 had dark fluid when I changed it around 125k miles and it soldiered on for another 100k before it was totaled in an accident. So don't be overly concerned about the fluid. I think fluid nasties can plug up screens, so keeping everything clean is a good idea.

If you get one of these funnels:

it will fit tightly over the top of the dipstick tube... it's easy to fill that way. BUT it is a bit slow and will have to burp a few times.

The 2006 also has a filter. I replaced it on my 2005. What I have since learned about oil filters is basically that they don't need to be replaced until they restrict flow or risk breaking down structurally. So I wouldn't be real quick to do it. Might make a good video for your channel, though.

I ran Maxlife in my 2005 and it did fine, it's nice and cheap too. But Honda DW-1 isn't terribly expensive.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
2006 EXL with 144k miles. ATF looks like this. Change it or leave it? Don’t know if it was changed before.
I think the question here is not whether to change this fluid or not, but whether changing this fluid puts you at risk for transmission to fail. My recommendation is this: if its your car, change it. If customer, make him aware of possibilities and have them make the choice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That fill bolt on top is TIGHT. At least mine was. 450ftlb air impact wouldnt budge it. Used a 25" 1/2 drive breaker with a cheater thought for sure something would break. Pop!

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
The bolt comes off fine with a 1/2" breaker bar and a single long extension. Once you have it off the first time, it gets easier. Change in steps as noted and your good to go.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
That fill bolt on top is TIGHT. At least mine was. 450ftlb air impact wouldnt budge it. Used a 25" 1/2 drive breaker with a cheater thought for sure something would break. Pop!
Your impact looses alot of uggas when used with a long extension. Unfortunately you have to, because of accessibility issues.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Yeah, a standard extension acts like a spring. An impact-rated extension may have better luck.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Yes I change my ATF every spring W/ Valvoline Maxlife doing the 3X . I drain the fluid from the drain plug the 1st drain to check and clean the magnet . Then I wait a week between the next 2 changes and use a cheap $6.00 siphon I purchased from Tractor Supply . It takes about 3 or more minutes to siphon out 3.5 quarts , and I can precisely siphon out 1.5 Qts and use the remaining 1.5 Qts of ATF left . Very easy to do. Does anyone here know of the best ATF additive to use on high mileage trannys , or should I not waste my time ?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Does anyone here know of the best ATF additive to use on high mileage trannys , or should I not waste my time ?
The one and only ATF additive I would recommend is Lubegard red.

I use it to increase the heat transfer capacity of the ATF. It's also used by many transmission rebuilders.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome to the club, Ill change the motor mount and vcmuzzler/tunner whichever you prefer and ready to go. Share some pics.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also run Maxlife without issue. Red gallon jug at Walmart for $17. I didn't know about the fill bolt at first and used the dipstick tube for refill. What a mess. Make sure to clean up the metal sludge on the drainbolt/magnet as well.

Where is the filter at? I have an 05 EX.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it’s behind a small cover with three bolts located on the end of the transmission by the frame (at least it is on our ‘06 EXL-RES).
I found that it’s easier if you remove the bolts holding the ABS assembly to the frame and pull it up and away from the area. DO NOT remove the brake lines from the ABS unit!!! Change the o-ring on the cap while you’re there. It’s cheap insurance against a leak and having to do the job over. There is also a little rubber grommet looking part that you need to swap from the old filter or purchase new if you’d like. I‘d reuse the old one so long as it’s still pliable. Enjoy!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it’s behind a small cover with three bolts located on the end of the transmission by the frame (at least it is on our ‘06 EXL-RES).
I found that it’s easier if you remove the bolts holding the ABS assembly to the frame and pull it up and away from the area. DO NOT remove the brake lines from the ABS unit!!! Change the o-ring on the cap while you’re there. It’s cheap insurance against a leak and having to do the job over. There is also a little rubber grommet looking part that you need to swap from the old filter or purchase new if you’d like. I‘d reuse the old one so long as it’s still pliable. Enjoy!
Yikes I thought this transmission filter wasn't user replaceable. At 140K and I've never touched it. And looking at RockAuto, it's a paper cartridge filter?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yikes I thought this transmission filter wasn't user replaceable. At 140K and I've never touched it. And looking at RockAuto, it's a paper cartridge filter?
Stay tuned got a video coming on this 👀

·
Registered
55 Posts
That’s what the dealerships want us to think!😡. It is a paper cartridge. It’s not a cheap item but well worth the maintenance on the Ody transmission.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
FYI. For others that may read this thread, and as pointed our earlier in this thread, the replaceable filter is only on the 05 and 06 transmission. The 2007 and newer models do not have a user replaceable filter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts