Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yep 05 here. Going to do this soon since I stumbled on this thread. I had no idea my transmission had a user serviceable filter. Also stumbled on the ATF cooler thread today as well. There goes another $50 plus an afternoon. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The bolt comes off fine with a 1/2" breaker bar and a single long extension. Once you have it off the first time, it gets easier. Change in steps as noted and your good to go.
I used 3/8” extension & breaker bar from HF. Laid into it and thought it was going to snap! Everything came apart but the bolt broke free. A 1/2” would’ve been easier.

Be sure to wear leather gloves to protect your knuckles and put something padded to protect the windshield in case it snaps free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
That fill bolt on top is TIGHT. At least mine was. 450ftlb air impact wouldnt budge it. Used a 25" 1/2 drive breaker with a cheater thought for sure something would break. Pop!
It took every 1/2 “ extension I had, plus a breaker bar with a 3’ cheater!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
The one and only ATF additive I would recommend is Lubegard red.

I use it to increase the heat transfer capacity of the ATF. It's also used by many transmission rebuilders.
I've always thought of adding Lubegard Red to my Ody, but just now, I went to their website and their "Product Finder" does not include the Ody in their honda list. Hmmm.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Here (and on the bottle) they say that Lubegard Red "works in all automatic transmissions & OEM fluids (except CVT, DCT & Type-F fluid)".

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can look at the exploded diagrams on places like Majestic Honda... the 2007+ filter can't be accessed without transmission or engine removal.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts