Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 02 EX-L Navi comes w/ a factory cd receiver. I want to change it to a aftermarket one. My question is will the navi work w/ the aftermarket receiver? will I need any special wiring to make it work? Or will just a regular wiring interface for the 02 navi ody will be enough?

·
1,484 Posts
Here's what the factory reciever does and what is needed when going aftermarket:

- Able to accept NAVI's left and right voice signals
- Able to amplifiy the NAVI voice
- Mutes sound in front speakers when NAVI speaks
- Accepts steering wheel remote control signals

There have been different ways people have tried to duplicate what the factory reciever does so nicely in one single unit.

I know for me I had to purchase a 4 channel amp and a Sony XA-39II (signal switching device). The 4 channel amp is used to amplifiy the NAVI Voice and XA-39II is used to accept the NAVI voice signals and also mutes the front speakers. I can honestly say this setup behaves exactly how the factory system distributes the sound between the reciever and NAVI.

As for getting the steering wheel remote working with an aftermarket reciever you'll most likely need a Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-wvgaW4FNvlu/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=2&g=751&I=127SWI3&o=&a= . But this device will only work if your aftermarket reciever has a wireless infrared remote. My aftermarket reciever did NOT have a wireless remote but it did have a wired one. In order to get it to work I had to change the resistors in my steering wheel control buttons.

So it is possible but it takes a lot of work! I guess it all depends on how bad you want the aftermarket reciever?

Hope this helps,
Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess the question is whether or not you care to have the front speakers muted when the Navi voice activates.

I had an Alpine powered center speaker installed and connected to the Navi leads from the wire harness. I could have added relays to the front speakers, but opted not to after hearing how loud the Navi speaker was in relation to the system volume. I have the Alpine speaker in the center compartment in the front dash. I just didn't care for the front speakers cutting out when the Navi wanted to speak and then all of a sudden it got loud again. But if you want it "factory", then Nestor's way is probably the way to go. As for the steering wheel controls, I lost them when I swapped out the unit, but I don't place my left hand near the steering wheel controls when I'm driving anyway...

------------------
2000 CSS Odyssey EX-Navi w/Leather
Sony MDX-C800REC MiniDisc Receiver
Polk 602a (Front)
Polk 402a (Rear)
Alpine powered center(for Navi voice)
Bazooka EL8A-HP Powered Subwoofer

·
Registered
194 Posts
Keep the factory deck. In my 99 Accord I kept the factory system but added an amplifier (speaker-inputs) and a subwoofer and the sound was great.

The Factory deck will give you clean sound, and you will not f-up your Navi or Steering wheel controls.

Swap out the speakers, add a hidden 5 channel amp and get a sub. (IMHO)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:

I know for me I had to purchase a 4 channel amp and a Sony XA-39II (signal switching device). The 4 channel amp is used to amplifiy the NAVI Voice and XA-39II is used to accept the NAVI voice signals and also mutes the front speakers. I can honestly say this setup behaves exactly how the factory system distributes the sound between the reciever and NAVI.
</font>
Hey Nestor, glad you got this working! So do you only use this switcher on the front RCAs, feeding rear signal straight from the head to the amp? Any switching pops or noise whatsoever? Any switching delay at all? Just wondering... Sweet dude!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Hey Nestor, glad you got this working! So do you only use this switcher on the front RCAs, feeding rear signal straight from the head to the amp? Any switching pops or noise whatsoever? Any switching delay at all? Just wondering... Sweet dude!

-SJ

</font>
Yes, only the front RCAs are connected to the switcher then the amp. While the rear RCAs are connected directly to the amp. There is no switching delay...at least not enough to cut off the Navi voice. But there is a small pop when it switches over. Any suggestions on how to easily remedy this?

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Yes, only the front RCAs are connected to the switcher then the amp. While the rear RCAs are connected directly to the amp. There is no switching delay...at least not enough to cut off the Navi voice. But there is a small pop when it switches over. Any suggestions on how to easily remedy this?

-Nestor

</font>
Yowsers. That's a tough one. Usually a switcher like this would disable the output of the box during the actual switch to avoid the pop. Sounds like Sony did not do this, so as to minimize the switch time and to save cost.

I don't know of any easy or good way to do this, short of getting another switcher... Sorry.... I'll try to think about it some more though...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts