Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed just the oil without changing the filter? Then changing both after the next 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by duke:
Has anyone changed just the oil without changing the filter? Then changing both after the next 7500 miles. </font>
Is there a benefit to the car?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ever took a shower, soap yourself real good and rinse with dirty water?

Seriously, did you see the size of that oil filter? It is so small that I would not push it pass 7,500 miles.

The bad thing about oil filters, you will not know when it is plugging up and letting unfiltered oil go through the bypass valve to lube your engine.

Engine's lubrication circuit are designed with a fail safe device called a bypass valve. The purpose of this valve is that if the oil filter gets too restrictive after doing a fine job of filtering the dirt out of the oil, the bypass valve will open and let unfiltered oil through to lube the engine. It is better to let unfiltered oil through to lube the engine than no oil at all.

Really to save $5.00, it is not worth it.

You should have the oil filter replaced at every oil change, especially if you expect to keep the vehicule for severall years.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

Has anyone changed just the oil without changing the filter? Then changing both after the next 7500 miles. </font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never changed the oil only. I bring up this point since Honda recommends this practice. They state to change the oil at 7500 and then the oil and filter at the next 7500.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have never changed the oil only. I bring up this point since Honda recommends this practice. They state to change the oil at 7500 and then the oil and filter at the next 7500. </font>
At least one of the synthetic oil manufacturers recommends changing the oil every 25,000 miles, but changing the filter every 12,500; i.e. changing the filter without changing the oil.

To me, that makes more sense than changing the oil without the filter; since the crap is supposed to get caught in the filter, thereby helping to keep the oil clean.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have never done it, but DC also has recommended the every-other-oil-change interval for filter changes. Relative to other costs, it is so cheap to do the filter, I cannot see why not keep things as fresh as you can.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sorry guys, but this is like busting your butt for a couple months before taking a shower. Then getting all cleaned up and putting on the same old dirty underwear, socks and clothes. YUK!!!

The filter is only a couple bucks. Spring for it!

As for the manufacturer recommendations, sure..... “change the filter every other time”. The engines will most likely last fine till the warranty expires, then their shops can make tons of money selling you a major repair, parts and labor. But you won’t get kissed!

Fred

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I have never done it, but DC also has recommended the every-other-oil-change interval for filter changes. Relative to other costs, it is so cheap to do the filter, I cannot see why not keep things as fresh as you can.

Jerry O.

</font>
Jerry O,

But what about all those old oil filters accumulating in landfills?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
596 Posts
Tree hugger!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I totally agree to change the filter every time. I was just shocked to see Honda recommend not changing it every time. As far as I know the dealerships always change it every time (of course to make money). Does anyone know if another manufacturer recommends changing the filter every other time?

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Jerry O,

But what about all those old oil filters accumulating in landfills?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

</font>

Maugham, you dog, my used filters go to our local hazardous waste facility, which I assume(yeah, I know what assume does)gets the metal to a recycler and the oil into the proper barrel.

As to the comments about not changing the filter every time leaving dirty oil in the system, I can only say that MOST things which are drained and filled are still contaminated with a certain amount of "bad stuff",in the end. When you drain the transmission, maybe 40% of the old fluid is purged and,on the Honda, the filter is not changed. Yes, I know this item is not associated with combustion contaminants, but, it can be fairly nasty with fluid damaged by very hard use. When draining a cooling system, lotsa folks do not bother(even if they know about 'em) to remove the plugs in the cylinder block and thereby leave a lot of sludge in the bottoms of the block water passages.

I must assume(there I go again) that Honda and DC have determined that the filters they use are up to the interval they recommend and that a small percentage of old oil will not be a significant drawback for the life of the engine.

With all that said, I drove my Caravan under lots of "severe" conditions and I changed the oil AND filter thirty times in 72K miles! I read it, but do not always go by it, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi Jerry,

If you look in the service manual, you will see that the filter for the transmission is a screen type, not the finest of filtration.

Thus it is very important to have the transmission flushed and refilled with the proper equipment to get rid of most of the dirt in it.

RobertC

Maugham, you dog, my used filters go to our local hazardous waste facility, which I assume(yeah, I know what assume does)gets the metal to a recycler and the oil into the proper barrel.

As to the comments about not changing the filter every time leaving dirty oil in the system, I can only say that MOST things which are drained and filled are still contaminated with a certain amount of "bad stuff",in the end. When you drain the transmission, maybe 40% of the old fluid is purged and,on the Honda, the filter is not changed. Yes, I know this item is not associated with combustion contaminants, but, it can be fairly nasty with fluid damaged by very hard use. When draining a cooling system, lotsa folks do not bother(even if they know about 'em) to remove the plugs in the cylinder block and thereby leave a lot of sludge in the bottoms of the block water passages.

I must assume(there I go again) that Honda and DC have determined that the filters they use are up to the interval they recommend and that a small percentage of old oil will not be a significant drawback for the life of the engine.

With all that said, I drove my Caravan under lots of "severe" conditions and I changed the oil AND filter thirty times in 72K miles! I read it, but do not always go by it, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RobertC:
Hi Jerry,

If you look in the service manual, you will see that the filter for the transmission is a screen type, not the finest of filtration.

Thus it is very important to have the transmission flushed and refilled with the proper equipment to get rid of most of the dirt in it.

RobertC

</font>
Robert,
There is no "flush" recommended for the transmission, by Honda. I realize that the filter is a screen and not a tight media type. I asked about a complete fluid change for my transmission and have yet to find a Honda dealer who has such equipment. The tech I rode with from my local dealer told me that Honda does not want any chemical flushes used in their transmissions, so the Wynn's system and others which chemically flush the transmission while changing the fluid are not approved by Honda. Just what I have heard.......One of the best plans I have heard, for the "type A" folks among us is to change the transmission fluid at every-other oil change. Since it only uses three quarts per change, it would seem to be cheap insurance.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know that no chemicals should be used.

I was just mentioning that there are machines out there that will do a complete flush & fill at the same time.

Those machines use the transmission's oil cooler lines.

The cooler line that the fluid goes out is connected to an empty container.

The return line is connected to a container containing approx. 15 quarts of new transmission oil.

The engine is started and they use the transmission pressure to flush the old oil out and push new transmission fluid in.

Some of those machine are looking like big transparent cylinder with a piston between the old and the new fluid. As the old fluid enters the cylinder, it pushes the piston down thus pushing the new oil in at the same rate it comes in.

My dealer as a 2 tank machine but I do not think that they used it to service my Ody so the next time I will have it done elsewhere where they will do it properly.

RobertC

Robert,
There is no "flush" recommended for the transmission, by Honda. I realize that the filter is a screen and not a tight media type. I asked about a complete fluid change for my transmission and have yet to find a Honda dealer who has such equipment. The tech I rode with from my local dealer told me that Honda does not want any chemical flushes used in their transmissions, so the Wynn's system and others which chemically flush the transmission while changing the fluid are not approved by Honda. Just what I have heard.......One of the best plans I have heard, for the "type A" folks among us is to change the transmission fluid at every-other oil change. Since it only uses three quarts per change, it would seem to be cheap insurance.

Jerry O.

</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts