Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know that I bought a 35W HID kit for the car. Initially, I thought the lights were nice, but after comparing them to my stock mercedes, I found them lacking in brightness. I searched on the internet and found a site that sold 50W ballasts. While I was unsure if it would make a difference, I decided to give it a try. All I can say is HUGE difference. Well, at least they now match the brightness of my mercedes.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that I bought a 35W HID kit for the car. Initially, I thought the lights were nice, but after comparing them to my stock mercedes, I found them lacking in brightness. I searched on the internet and found a site that sold 50W ballasts. While I was unsure if it would make a difference, I decided to give it a try. All I can say is HUGE difference. Well, at least they now match the brightness of my mercedes.
darn, just ordered my 35watt hid conversions. excited to install this weekend based on vqdriver's directions.

definitely fill us in on the details of the 50watt ballasts. did you use existing bulbs and just plugged in new ballasts?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I hope the oncoming drivers feel the same way as OP. HUGE difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just installed a 35W HID kit and it's NOT Impressive at all. Feels significantly dimmer than other luxury SUV's I've been in with Projector HIDs.
I believe HID kits are LEGAL only if used with Project Head lights (2011 Odyssey) but Illegal to use with Multi-reflector Head Lights (2010 Odyssey).

Anyways, the initial current draw of a 50W kit is actually lower than that of a 35W kit. Most 35W kits consume 12V/6A at startup (After steady state, it drops down to 3A or so). Most 50W kits consume 12V/5A (After steady state, it drops down to 4.1A or so).
This makes a case that a 50W kit would be more compatible with the factory electrical system than a 35W kit however a 35W kit is ideal for bulb longevity due to less heat.... The initial surge of a 50W consumes 60W vs. a 35W kit which consumes 72W. Either way, I don't think there will be any long term ill effects to the electrical system on a 2011 Honda running the HID kit without a relay although it doesn't hurt to have it.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I believe HID kits are LEGAL only if used with Project Head lights (2011 Odyssey) but Illegal to use with Multi-reflector Head Lights (2010 Odyssey).
You believe wrong. NO kit is legal. Only legal HIDs are the ones that come from the factory. Any add on kit is illegal. You can ask your vendor and they will say the same.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess you are correct. Risk and probability is quite low you would ever get in trouble for it if you have projector head lights and the cop won't know if it's a factory option or not. Just don't get any color temperature higher than 5K and nobody will notice....

You believe wrong. NO kit is legal. Only legal HIDs are the ones that come from the factory. Any add on kit is illegal. You can ask your vendor and they will say the same.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess you are correct. Risk and probability is quite low you would ever get in trouble for it if you have projector head lights and the cop won't know if it's a factory option or not. Just don't get any color temperature higher than 5K and nobody will notice....

I can tell anything other than an OEM setup within about 2 seconds of looking at it.

I can even tell when someone with OEM hids has cheaped out on replacement bulbs on not gotten a legitimate phillips bulb.

I'll give you a hint, most police are trained and smart enough to know what vehicles are likely to come with a factory hid...unless it was the S2000, hondas did not (now the odyssey can be equipped).

the list of mostly equipped vehicles:

Mercedes Benz
BMW
Acura
Audi
VW
Cadillac
Porsche
Lexus

Essentially, high end/luxury vehicles. Yes, they are available as options in numerous other makes, but most people don't spring for those options/that added cost.

More likely, police are choosing to ignore it for better or more lucrative things to ticket on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mazda's Honda's, Nissan's, Toyota's got em too. I think even the Hyundai Genesis has em. It's seriously NOT A BIG DEAL. The Touring Elite has em so how does a Cop know my Touring "standard" didn't come with them or your EX-L? A 4K-5K Kit will not stick out. I have a tassel hanging from my mirror so that's probably illegal too.

I can tell anything other than an OEM setup within about 2 seconds of looking at it.

I can even tell when someone with OEM hids has cheaped out on replacement bulbs on not gotten a legitimate phillips bulb.

I'll give you a hint, most police are trained and smart enough to know what vehicles are likely to come with a factory hid...unless it was the S2000, hondas did not (now the odyssey can be equipped).

the list of mostly equipped vehicles:

Mercedes Benz
BMW
Acura
Audi
VW
Cadillac
Porsche
Lexus

Essentially, high end/luxury vehicles. Yes, they are available as options in numerous other makes, but most people don't spring for those options/that added cost.

More likely, police are choosing to ignore it for better or more lucrative things to ticket on.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So with 50w HID headlights, is that like driving with your highbeams on all the time?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Damn, those luxurious Honda CR-Z EX car owners are so screwed, especially those ones with a premium white pearl color ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Damn, those luxurious Honda CR-Z EX car owners are so screwed, especially those ones with a premium white pearl color ;)
despite it's attractive good looks, i never really paid much attention to the cr-z... in fact, i even forgot it existed until you reminded me :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wonder if you can swap out the ballasts in the touring elite for 50 watt?

·
Registered
39 Posts
55 watts for headlights is not legal. That's a typical brightness/rating for high beams.

My truck's light bulbs are 55w and 65w high beam, from the factory.

Oh and I can turn the headlights off and the fog lights still work, from the factory. But thats a different thread.

I don't understand why the "anti" people have to always peek in on threads and comment on what they think you should be doing. If it is illegal let the cops be the judge, it's thier job, not yours. If you don't want HID lights, don't get them. If your comments are not helpful to the discussion, please don't comment. The OP didn't ask for your opinion.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I wonder if you can swap out the ballasts in the touring elite for 50 watt?

Before you swap your OEM 35W, I suggest you experiment with bulbs first. Osram launched a new bulb rated at 3400 lumens-- thats the brightest out there.

OSRAM|News|Trade Press|Automotive Lighting|2010|100302_Cenarc_Cool_Blue_Intense

Just be careful though, its not YET offered here in the U.S. you might buy a fake--IIRC there is one seller in ebay (US), but people mostly bought them overseas (Europe). Also, it's a bit pricey for a bulb.

BTW, what is wrong with your OEM HID's? People here is all praise regarding the ODy's hid. (i have Pnp HID kit-- I like it)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts