Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, and tensioner pulley on our 2001 Odyssey with 124,500 miles on it. I also changed the spark plugs and the crankshaft oil seal which I found to be leaking. Working by myself, the whole job took three evenings of about 3.5 hours each. My prior experience is 20 years of car maintenance and repair, including brake jobs, a couple timing belts on two 4-cylinder engines and two complete 4-cylinder engine rebuilds. Thanks to the wealth of information on this forum that greatly aided this job. I used the starter motor trick to break the pulley bolt loose. All else went exactly as expected. The old belt looked just fine, although some small fibers could be seen sticking out of the sides of the belt here and there, and the new belt felt a lot stiffer. On the old belt, I marked the teeth near the cam sprocket timing marks and the crankshaft sprocket prior to taking it off. I transferred the marks to the new belt to confirm that I had the timing right (see images below).

The car runs great and is very quiet at idle. However, when the engine is warm there is a quiet 'swooshing' sound with a frequency of about twice per second coming from the timing belt. Has anyone seen this? The sound gets a little bit louder if I open one of the inspection holes, so it is coming from the timing belt and not the accessory belts (which I had changed a few months ago and just put back). I assume it's just the new belt settling in and that in time it will be quiet. I will keep an eye on it though.

For others who might be doing this same repair and are worried about getting the timing right, I counted the teeth between the cam marks and took pictures. The center image is of the old belt, while the images of the mounted belt are of the new belt with the transferred marks.

A high resolution version of this image is here. [You might have to click on the image to make it appear full-sized in your browser, or hit right-click > Save As on the picture.]

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
wormguy, I just did a T-belt change on our 1998 Accord using the same belt marking methodology. It's the only way to fly. I've changed a number of T-belts (and even a synthetic timing gear on a Ford V6), and I'd wished I'd known about this belt marking scheme before. What a time saver!

Thanks for the great, great pic. I'm getting close to 101,000 miles on my 2003 EX, and the wife's 2002 EX is around 94,000 miles. We're getting close to major servicing...that's why we got the 98 Accord. We can't be without wheels with 4 school-age kids and all their activities.

OF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice post. Thanks. This will help alot on my t-belt job.

Where did you buy your waterpump? I have found gates pumps at Rock Auto but I am not sure if they are good. OEM from Honda is $131.63 from my local dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts