Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting latest experience with Tranny fluid and I’ve been following the advice of changing the DW-1 transmission fluid every oil change and have been really happy with how it drives and knowing the van should last longer. Van has vcm, oem cooler and the tranny software update, 80k miles..

however, in anticipation of our first popup camping trip, I had changed it 2x before the oil change (with a 1 week interval). After coming back from that trip of driving a steady 65mph for about 200 miles total on flat terrain (an easy pull), with outside temps in 60s, the transmission is now balky at times in 1st two gears-which has usually been symptom of needing transmission fluid change. Was around 3,100 lbs towing including trailer, people,gear.

astonishing how fast the dw-1 fluid wears out but since this setup with the van works well with our young family, I’m ok to keep changing it. Especially since I discovered on my last change can do it with the van on the ground. Took about 15-20min to change it.

Tried maxlife fluid and it ran terribly in ours. Not aware of any cost effective, good fluids out there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a vcm. 2015 Exl. Also got 20mpg that trip so definitely easy pull. Transmission wasn’t shifting like crazy and no weird noises from drive train

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,297 Posts
So by "have a VCM" you mean VCM disable device?....all Odys of this generation have VCM.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
you likely need an oversized cooler...
those temps can get up there in the south during the summer.

you running a scanguage ii on that thing to get some data on ATF temps?

This recent posts shows long running temps at 210F, was causing the DW1 to turn brown.

you might want to go with maxlife and amsoil and add 7 oz of the lubeguard platinum to smooth things out.

you can get it at rockauto, there is a 5% discount code on the forum.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My scangauge burned out before I did this type of towing so need to get another one.

went oem cooler because of concern of aftermarket leaking and reluctant to redo it again.

hadn’t caught on to maxlife and lubegard combo but if lubegard would smooth out maxlife and last longer that could work...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try Amsoil if you're willing to spend the extra coin. Doesn't seem to have the shifting "issues" that are more common with Maxlife. There are a few threads discussing it, and I haven't seen a negative review yet (other than cost).

Also, you can now log transmission temps with a cheap generic Bluetooth OBDII reader and a phone app like Car Scanner.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll have to look into those scanners. How do you find amsoil and lubegard won rock auto? Word search isn’t bringing them up and aren’t listed when you go to Tranny fluid for the odyssey

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
How do you find amsoil and lubegard won rock auto?
Yeah, Amsoil is available only from the company's online store or from a local dealer. "Dealers" are usually independent garages who sell it as a sideline. The prices are lower from the company but you may have to pay shipping. You can save more by becoming a preferred customer.

Lubegard is available from auto parts stores. I get mine from Advance Auto Parts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just posting latest experience with Tranny fluid and I’ve been following the advice of changing the DW-1 transmission fluid every oil change and have been really happy with how it drives and knowing the van should last longer. Van has vcm, oem cooler and the tranny software update, 80k miles..

however, in anticipation of our first popup camping trip, I had changed it 2x before the oil change (with a 1 week interval). After coming back from that trip of driving a steady 65mph for about 200 miles total on flat terrain (an easy pull), with outside temps in 60s, the transmission is now balky at times in 1st two gears-which has usually been symptom of needing transmission fluid change. Was around 3,100 lbs towing including trailer, people,gear.

astonishing how fast the dw-1 fluid wears out but since this setup with the van works well with our young family, I’m ok to keep changing it. Especially since I discovered on my last change can do it with the van on the ground. Took about 15-20min to change it.

Tried maxlife fluid and it ran terribly in ours. Not aware of any cost effective, good fluids out there.
From what I understand the oem atm cooler is basically useless for towing. A separate add’l cooler is necessary, especially with running the crappy DW-1 honda fluid. Also if not done already, a muzzler is a must towing or not towing in order to disable the VCM to prevent fouling plugs and piston rings.
I have read here that that towing requires using D4, makes sense that pulling a trailer up a hill in gears higher than 4 would overly stress transm and overtemp atm fluid.
Also Timbren’s should be a must with towing.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I’ll have to look into those scanners. How do you find amsoil and lubegard won rock auto? Word search isn’t bringing them up and aren’t listed when you go to Tranny fluid for the odyssey
for lubeguard...

Part Number Search Tab, then pick your manufacturer from the dropdown.
get the 15oz bottle you will be good for 2 applications.

if you're going with amsoil, you may not need lubeguard based on the feedback here.
I always keep some bottles in the garage regardless.

discount code...

·
Registered
187 Posts
For amsoil checkout bitog forum, bobistheoilguy ,
Pablo is the amsoil dealer there , see what kind of deal he can get you

1 - 20 of 65 Posts