Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Whoever is next on the list to do it, please share some pictures. Or maybe we may need to wait for Mr.Ranger's video. Thanks guys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to update - I bought the Sunsong from Rock Auto @$44. No issues at all with form, fit, or function. I noticed the big difference was that the steel line was Zinc plated and the OE was an E-coat. Everything else looked about the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did mine a few months back. A very simple job with the exception of that 14mm connector that is almost out of reach. I tried it from the bottom and top. Ended up clipping it off with some tin snips and putting a socket wrench on it (from the top). Would have saved a load of time and pain had I started by doing that.

Edit: I bought an over priced crappy one from AutoZone because they had it in stock, and parallel parking without power steering sucks. So far it's been fine (I've got 255k on it, so I'm pretty hopeful the hose will last longer than the van).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just finished this job on my 2007 Touring (150k miles). Here are a few thoughts:
  • Took me about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish/clean-up
  • I successfully used a flare nut crowfoot wrench from Harbor Freight to loosen and tighten the 14mm nut.
  • It was a pain to get the passenger-side bracket bolted down; the bolt was pretty corroded and didn't want to get back in its hole. Just be patient and keep trying.
  • I would suggest replacing the small o-ring on the power steering pressure switch. When I put the old power steering pressure switch onto my new power steering pressure hose, I noticed that the small o-ring looked pretty squished and deformed. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the o-ring still seals. I'm pretty sure that the part number for the small o-ring is 91304-P0H-013 (O-Ring 7.8X1.9). It is #22 in the attached exploded diagram (I got the diagram from HondaPartsNow, in the subcategory called "Chassis --> P.S. Lines")
I am facing the same problem now with my 07' ody. It just happened. Now I can see the fluid creeping out from some tiny cracks of the hose where it meets the metal clamp to the PS pump. so, time to replace. But I have some questions to ask if someone knows the answer:

1. at honda's website or in the diagram shown in that post, the hose is part 6 with honda number 53713-SHJ-A01. But the diagram seems to also show another replacement, part 32 (part number not show, but some website shows it as 53713-SHJ-A02). The main difference seems just to be one bushing vs two bushings. So will part 32 (53713-SHJ-A02) works for my 07'? If not, why is it also shown in the diagram? Do they differ by different length or just the bushing?

2. The OEM from honda is pricey while there are some cheaper replacement from Amazon (like this one or this one.) Some customers said it was a perfect fit, but why is the picture only showing one bushing? So they do look like 53713-SHJ-A02. Did anyone ever succeed in using them? I understand these parts may be sub-par, but, as long as they can last a couple of years....

3. Obviously the most difficult part is the 14mm flare nut. I am inclined to attack the 14mm nut with a crows foot wrench first; if not working, I will use flare wrench with break bar from the top; if still no luck, I will cut the pipe and use a socket. But will the crow's foot wrench and the flare wrench get the nut round?

4. someone in the past mentioned loosing the pulley. Why? is it necessary? I think the PS pump is not affected, why do we need to touch the pulley?

Appreciate any response or tips.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I also used the Rein hose from RA and it looked just like OEM and went on there fine. I drained and snipped the line and then used a socket for removal and flare wrench for retightening, but the beefier crows foot should work great for removal. I always struggled with the flare for removal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am facing the same problem now with my 07' ody. It just happened. Now I can see the fluid creeping out from some tiny cracks of the hose where it meets the metal clamp to the PS pump. so, time to replace. But I have some questions to ask if someone knows the answer:

1. at honda's website or in the diagram shown in that post, the hose is part 6 with honda number 53713-SHJ-A01. But the diagram seems to also show another replacement, part 32 (part number not show, but some website shows it as 53713-SHJ-A02). The main difference seems just to be one bushing vs two bushings. So will part 32 (53713-SHJ-A02) works for my 07'? If not, why is it also shown in the diagram? Do they differ by different length or just the bushing?

2. The OEM from honda is pricey while there are some cheaper replacement from Amazon (like this one or this one.) Some customers said it was a perfect fit, but why is the picture only showing one bushing? So they do look like 53713-SHJ-A02. Did anyone ever succeed in using them? I understand these parts may be sub-par, but, as long as they can last a couple of years....

3. Obviously the most difficult part is the 14mm flare nut. I am inclined to attack the 14mm nut with a crows foot wrench first; if not working, I will use flare wrench with break bar from the top; if still no luck, I will cut the pipe and use a socket. But will the crow's foot wrench and the flare wrench get the nut round?

4. someone in the past mentioned loosing the pulley. Why? is it necessary? I think the PS pump is not affected, why do we need to touch the pulley?

Appreciate any response or tips.
OK. I did some research and figured it out that 32 (53713-SHJ-A02) is the revised version for vans 08+ and 6 (53713-SHJ-A01) is for 05-07'. Obviously the grommet is a difference. Just a reference for people who might have the same question as me.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts