Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just picked up a 2005 with 85000mi am thinking of replacing the timing belt.
I've read that GATES brand for the timing belt or do you guys have any more recomendations?

Timing Belt OEM = ???(Bando, Goodyear ,GATES)

Water Pump OEM = ??? (aisin?, Gates?, NM?, Koyo?)

Timing Idler pulley OEM = ???(Koyo?)

Timing Belt Tensioner OEM = ???(Koyo?, Gates?)

Serpentine Belt OEM = ???(Which Brand? GATES?, Goodyear?, Bando?)

I've been looking at the gates and koyo brand on ebay, looks like for everything it would be around $200.

Please advice, and how hard is it to replace the timing belt on this van? I have done my 2000 nissan frontier timing belt, pulled out and installed an 03 mini cooper S engine.

Does the engine need to be pulled to replace the belt?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
I just picked up a 2005 with 85000mi am thinking of replacing the timing belt.
I've read that GATES brand for the timing belt or do you guys have any more recomendations?

Timing Belt OEM = ???(Bando, Goodyear ,GATES)

Water Pump OEM = ??? (aisin?, Gates?, NM?, Koyo?)

Timing Idler pulley OEM = ???(Koyo?)

Timing Belt Tensioner OEM = ???(Koyo?, Gates?)

Serpentine Belt OEM = ???(Which Brand? GATES?, Goodyear?, Bando?)

I've been looking at the gates and koyo brand on ebay, looks like for everything it would be around $200.

Please advice, and how hard is it to replace the timing belt on this van? I have done my 2000 nissan frontier timing belt, pulled out and installed an 03 mini cooper S engine.

Does the engine need to be pulled to replace the belt?

Thanks in advance!

Timing belt writeup

·
Registered
424 Posts
My humble opinion .. if you are going to spend the time and money to do this maintenance, you might as well go OEM and play it safe on the process.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i'd say stick with oem!!

GATES makes the Honda OEM belts.

And you do not need to pull the engine to change the belt. U will need to remove the right (from inside the car) motor mount and support the engine.

pat

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this post is old, but the info I'm sharing should help anyone about to do a TB job. I used the timing belt kit from Aisin, bought on Amazon, about $200. It came with oem timing belt hydraulic tensioner (If yours is the granade pin type, you MUST replace it and the kit will include it anyway) and all the TB pulleys, water pump, etc. The pulleys were Koyo (OEM), I think the belt was Mitsuboshi or something like that which was supposed to be OEM as well. TB usually isn't due 'till 105,000, but doing it early doesn't hurt at all of course, especially if you see any kind of oil or coolant leak. I bought my '06 Touring model, the previous owner had the TB done at 104k, but they used aftermarket parts. I bought it with 142K. 5k miles into it and the water pump rubber gasket hardened and all coolant leaked. I did the TB myself and saw all parts were aftermarket (junk), although the belt itself was still good, but I replaced it all w/ the OEM stuff. Also, you'll want to replace the serpentine and PS pump belt as well. Pay attention to the the side motor mount, it's usually cracked. Again, if you replace mounts definitely OEM. I used AM from Advanced Auto's wholesale supplier and the mount didn't last.
If your cam and crank seals are leaking you'll have to replace those as well, OEM of course, but make sure you do that job right and re-install the new seals flush to the engine, etc. Miss this and you'll have oil leak inside TB chamber and TB will slip and skip on you.

Also, if you have never done one of these jobs, get the Capri honda balancer tool and if you have air tools, the lisle 19mm balancer impact socket (worth every penny). The socket will help you remove the crank bolt easier than removing wheel lug nuts.

Last but not least, buy the $15 vmanual from ericthecarguy.com, he's excellent and detailed. Read the comments about the video below for a few important but crucial points of note.

Here's the link for the Amazon kit: Aisin TKH-002
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EEYTRE/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_U_x_eWD5Cb8ZZS5YC

Good luck w/ the task.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Info on this thread is outdated, and you should have let it died.

The recommended source for timing belt kit is Asin kit from Rockauto.com (for quality assurance and $$$ wise). Getting it from Ebay and Amazon and you will run the risk of getting fake products (not to mention you would pay more).

·
Registered
40 Posts
[h=2]Can I drive with a timing belt problem? If yes, then how much risk have. Please share with me your valued experience regarding that.[/h]

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
No, you should not drive or even start the engine if you have a timing belt problem. A timing belt failure will cause catastrophic damage to the engine. The timing belt is supposed to be changed every 100,000 miles or 8 years, whatever comes first.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Can I drive with a timing belt problem?
What problem do you have with your timing belt? Or are you approaching the recommended service miles?

Almost all are replaced as preventive maintenance, as failure can cause catastrophic engine damage as noted. A few are replaced for cause, such as tensioner noise.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts