Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the ODY (n.e. vehicle) with 149,00 about 4 mo ago. I've put almost 10,000 on it since.

Being a DIY I 'm sensitive to many things when I drive.

Brakes. The dreaded squeak, mostly in reverse on start up, and always if the ODY sat for a few hours. I pulled apart the rear brakes, drums, cleaned and lubed everything up, didn't make a bit of difference. My rear pads all had a hair line crack but plenty of pad. I'll replace them soon and get the drums turned.

When I took the van in for inspection the mechanic said my peddle was very soft. I bled the lines but made no diff.

Another problem I was having was a lot of steering wheel vibration coming to stops and also a significant amount at highway speeds.
I took the front rotors to get turned and the machinist said not to bother because there was surfacing material missing from the side facing in on the rotors. There was plenty of pad left (however the insides where not wearing evenly)I replaced the rotors with Wearevers, new hardware, boots and ceramic brake pads.

Happy to report tonight that the squeaking is GONE, no vibration but I still have a weak peddle.

I looked into my official Honda manual and performed the brake servo tests and from what I can tell my master cylinder if faulty.

If anyone thinks different please let me know.

Hopefully my lines can handle a new master cylinder. When I replaced a mc on an 86 VW vanagon I started blowing lines almost every other day.

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Usually a bad master cylinder will allow the pedal to slowly go to the floor when depressed. Have you replaced all the brake fluid? If it's old and been heated too much then it could be bad or have water in it.

I wouldn't worry about the brake lines, I replaced the master cylinder on a 92 Civic that had 200k on it 2 years ago and it's still stopping fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts