Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L 192,000 Miles
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So I noticed this major chassis (engine?) ground wire gas been exposed like this since I bought it in April, and it’s scaring me as corrosion is slowly forming In a blue/green color.

1) What should I use to clean the corrosion, will a wire brush be ok as I dont want to damage any part of this essential looking ground? Or should I use something else?

2) I circled what looks to be old jacketing possibly that was cut, and/or plastic ribbed wire tubing that has broken and fallen off since age makes it very brittle. Can I use similar plastic tubing or should I jacket it first then use plastic tubing? I dont want any heat melting the plastic but im fairly certain this is an issue.

I tend to over think things so forgive me, i would just rather ask an annoying question than make a vital mistake to the Honda I love.

See pics below:

Thanks in advance as always for reading!!!!!

-Tanner

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
No questions are dumb nor annoying, we all learn.

This is a common problem, the heat from the radiator/fans/cats disintegrate the wire looms. Use that item which you are holding.

Also check the wiring right underneath the radiator support/radiator splash shield.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No questions are dumb nor annoying, we all learn.

This is a common problem, the heat from the radiator/fans/cats disintegrate the wire looms. Use that item which you are holding.

Also check the wiring right underneath the radiator support/radiator splash shield.
Thanks man I appreciate it! Im trying to be detailed about this awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up buying a whole 25-50 feet roll of that online. I use it all the time for wiring.
i might have to do the same, all above the engine near the windshield wiper hoses run is all brittle and gone as well.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Exposed ground wire is not a red flag. Remember, it is a ground wire, and nobody is going to get a shock from a ground wire, Many cars use ground straps which which have no outer coating. The plastic stuff your showing is not 'air proof' and won't stop all the corrosion from happening, you just won't see it. In most cases, you're just talking about surface corrosion and the copper underneath is fine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Reactions: Glade_Colvin

·
Registered
132 Posts
..until it get to this condition! o_O View attachment 158201
Yes, that's a problem. But if the ground strap is intact, it's common to see it uncovered. Green/blue discoloration is cuprous oxide, or basically oxidized copper. Wrapping it in flex tube won't eliminate that, in fact it might make it worse since the tubing might trap moisture, which will hasten the oxidation process.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that's a problem. But if the ground strap is intact, it's common to see it uncovered. Green/blue discoloration is cuprous oxide, or basically oxidized copper. Wrapping it in flex tube won't eliminate that, in fact it might make it worse since the tubing might trap moisture, which will hasten the oxidation process.
Shouldnt i be able to take a wire brush and carefully remove the corrosion or am i better off heat shrinking some new jacketing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I added a couple of these $6.50 ground straps to our '02 Ody and it cleared up a starting issue we had. Know that a better body ground (more the merrier) will solve weird problems.

Don't be concerned about insulation on any ground wires, but broken strands and oxidized terminations WILL cause trouble.

Bottom line make sure you have good ground path directly between the battery and the engine block, AND a good body ground either between the engine block or direct to the battery.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If concerned about the condition, I would not spend too much time looking to preserve something that costs <$10 to replace with brandy new OEM from Majestic. Good for another 13years.

But that's me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I added a couple of these $6.50 ground straps to our '02 Ody and it cleared up a starting issue we had. Know that a better body ground (more the merrier) will solve weird problems.

Don't be concerned about insulation on any ground wires, but broken strands and oxidized terminations WILL cause trouble.

Bottom line make sure you have good ground path directly between the battery and the engine block, AND a good body ground either between the engine block or direct to the battery.
Thanks I screenshotted those on amazon!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If concerned about the condition, I would not spend too much time looking to preserve something that costs <$10 to replace with brandy new OEM from Majestic. Good for another 13years.

But that's me.
I’ll definitely look into Majestic!! Thanks man!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with not covering/wrapping the ground wire, but that frayed/broken portion suggests you have only about half the current carrying capacity. Not a bid deal while driving, but could easily be when starting in cold weather: copper conductivity is better in cold but with that much wire broken you are at great risk of not getting enough current to the starter in cold weather which might put the starter at risk (larger than normal voltage drop due to less wire/conductivity). After replacing it consider coating the bare wire with the same prevserative used on the battery terminals to reduce corrosion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with not covering/wrapping the ground wire, but that frayed/broken portion suggests you have only about half the current carrying capacity.

That pic is not the OP's. It's an "example of bad" posted by a responder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts